little starting issues, please help...

-

pinkfuzzibunnies

Reaction score
Hello, First I just want to say thank you to you people on here, I have found so much help on this site for my dart. Now the issue, I have a 75 dodge dart, slant six of course, and I'm having problems with either the neutral safety switch or the arm thats connected to the gearshift linkage. Sometimes it starts in park, and sometimes I have to put it in neutral to start it. Do I just need to adjust that arm, or do I need a new switch? Instructions on how to fix whatever it is or troubleshoot would be helpful too, I think I have the idea for them but I want to make sure.

Thank you so much!

You need to "divide the problem in half"

Try wiggling the shifter. If it starts, that's a sure sign of either mis--adjusted linkage or a bad NSS.

IF this does not seem to make much difference, try grounding the NSS wire connection at the starter relay with a clip lead. BE CAREFUL because now the car will crank and start in gear. If it starts several times reliably, the problem is the wiring or connector or neutral switch, or in rare cases, the comb inside the TF that operates the switch.

DO YOU have a shop manual?

Pink. Wish I could help you out. I have the same issue. For now when it happens, I just put the car in N, start and drive the he!! out of it. That is 1 of my winter projects to look into. My guess it is a loose bushing in the linkage (arms) somewhere. I don't think its wiring or safety switch. The wires nor safety switch can tell the difference between in park or nautral, just that it's not in gear. Just my .02 worth.

block the wheels. crawl under there and loosen the adjuster that is connected to the shifter linkage rod at the shifter arm on the trans. get back in the car and push your shifter all the way into park. crawl back under and pull the shifter arm on the trans all the way back as far as it will go , then tighten it back up. if that doesnt do it, then the switch probably bad

-
Back