little trouble shooting after a brisk walk

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
took the duster out on a ride today and she died on me

i was at a rediculous long red light (well, it took me 4 cycles of the light to get to where it died) so the car idled for a long time and then died

i turned it over again, it fired right up and died

tried a few more times and with each time it took longer to start, and died quicker

i happened to have my kids with my so i had my boy watch the fuel pressure gauge as i cranked it and he told me it stayed on zero

so, im guessing the fuel pump took a dump (carter mechanical, about a year old) or hopefully the fuel filter is clogged up

you guys agree...or should i look elsewhere?

(i have a cobbled up intake on there which i could not get off without tools so i didnt get to check the pump shot yet, that will be step one, once i get back there...but best i could tell, the float bowls are empty)

Right of the bat. With missing several light cycles and sitting at a light. I wanna think vapor lock.

Is it hot there? Does it start up and run fine after sitting in the shade for say 10 or 15 minutes?

took the duster out on a ride today and she died on me

i was at a rediculous long red light (well, it took me 4 cycles of the light to get to where it died) so the car idled for a long time and then died

i turned it over again, it fired right up and died

tried a few more times and with each time it took longer to start, and died quicker

i happened to have my kids with my so i had my boy watch the fuel pressure gauge as i cranked it and he told me it stayed on zero

so, im guessing the fuel pump took a dump (carter mechanical, about a year old) or hopefully the fuel filter is clogged up

you guys agree...or should i look elsewhere?

(i have a cobbled up intake on there which i could not get off without tools so i didnt get to check the pump shot yet, that will be step one, once i get back there...but best i could tell, the float bowls are empty)

Yeah, if you have 0 fuel pressure it is a clogged filter or bad pump....nothing to do with pump shot ...

Right of the bat. With missing several light cycles and sitting at a light. I wanna think vapor lock.

Is it hot there? Does it start up and run fine after sitting in the shade for say 10 or 15 minutes?

no, it is nice, but not hot, 76 degrees
its sat longer in hotter weather

i tried starting it after several minutes, but no go, if anything, it kept getting worse
kinda like at first it stuttered, then it stumbled then it stopped
Yeah, if you have 0 fuel pressure it is a clogged filter or bad pump....nothing to do with pump shot ...

my reasoning behind the pump shot was to see if fuel made it to the carb
if i get nothing, or a weak pumpshot, i know for sure im looking at the fuel system

if the pump shot is strong as it should be...perhaps its a spark issue?
(to be blunt, im not expecting much if anything from the pump shot)

no, it is nice, but not hot, 76 degrees
its sat longer in hotter weather

i tried starting it after several minutes, but no go, if anything, it kept getting worse
kinda like at first it stuttered, then it stumbled then it stopped

my reasoning behind the pump shot was to see if fuel made it to the carb
if i get nothing, or a weak pumpshot, i know for sure im looking at the fuel system

if the pump shot is strong as it should be...perhaps its a spark issue?
(to be blunt, im not expecting much if anything from the pump shot)

Definitely not vapor lock then.

Are the fuel bowls getting filled? If they are being filled. You know gas is making it to the carb. Then you can look down the carb and see if it's making it into the engine. If it is then you're basically left with spark.

Since you've tried starting it so many times. You might have drained the battery quite a bit. I would charge it up first. Make sure it's not a problem. Then check spark.

Consider the fact that there is more ethanol in fuel these days and it makes the fuel more prone to vapor lock. If I run anything other than Chevron 94 (which is real gasoline and contains no ethanol, every other fuel in this area does have ethanol) I have vapor lock issues.

Ethanol does not affect modern cars as they have a pressurised fuel system from the tank forward. Old cars with a mechanical pump have a suction fuel system. Suction + ethanol = vapor.

well, i got her back home

checked the pumpshot and one little stream

pulled the filter out and cranked her over, fuel galore

took the screen out and sure enough, crud everywhere

i figured since im only 5 miles from home, ill just run her without a screen in the filter and clean the carb tomorrow

i had my boy watch the gauge and soon it was pushing 6 PSI of pressure
checked the pumpshot and 4 big blasts went into the throat of the carb

still took a few more seconds of cranking before she fired up but shes sitting in the driveway again

Sounds like junk in the trunk.

Aaaaaand I'm back to walking
Put about 10 miles on her before the exact same thing happened

I wonder if it is time to drop and clean the tank?

If it plugged that fast again, I would agree probably time to drop and clean.

I got a 3/8th sending unit and line I been planning to install...i guess it just jumped to the top of the list

-
Back