Livin' the dream

-
Well.....I'm sort of livin the dream....I got made redundant from my last job 2 months ago.....I was working for Hastings Deering (HDAL)...a Caterpillar dealer...as a Fitter ( 6.5 years), rebuilding front and rear wheel ends/final drives/brakes for mining dump trucks. So, I've been catching up on things at home....and I've been that busy, I don't know how I fitted in going to work...lol. I've been doing cash jobs at home....$50 an hour....local workshops here charge $110 to $130 an hour......and I take more care....beats me how they stay in business really, some of the stuff-ups and what-not I've seen. I'm a mechanic by trade....been doin it for near on 30 years. I'm gunna miss the money I was on at HDAL....no-one pays as much as they did in town here....but I won't miss the place...it was going to **** with all the stuff-around with over-the-top safety ****.....about the only thing they didn't do was wrap us up in bubble wrap while goin through the gate. I got a reasonable payout, so I don't have to find a job for several months....but, jobs are really thin on the ground here as many people have been gettin laid off from the mines around here....seems every few weeks now, a few hundred are gettin laid off.

the old sayin" find a job ya love, and ya never work a day in your life." true..... BUT, most things in life we love is what people do as a hobby!!??? LOL
hard to make a paying business out of what other people consider fun things!!!!!
I;'ve always did the things in life I wanted to do, worked hard at those things, retirement funds be screwed! LOL
a medical doctor told me one time years ago, I was gonna die before long.... I started doing MORE of the things I love,,, he misdiagnosed me, I figured that out year later when I was still above ground!!!!
now i'm almost sixty eight..... go work a part time little job, to make a few extra $$ to spend on my project cars..... I have a hard time, just telling myself, BE retired whether you can afford it or not!! LOL
its hard to "taper off" when ya been working hard ALL ya life.
I thing we as a society plac e too much value on income, money, etc and not enough on what matters...... I will let you fill in those blanks......

-
Back