Local Craigslist score - BBP 7-1/4"

-

rjgideon

Reaction score
I scored a '73 7-1/4" rear axle off Craigslist last week. It came from a disc brake, 318 automatic car, so it has the 10" backing plates. $50. CTC Auto Ranch north of Dallas/Fort Worth wanted $450 for a big bolt pattern rear axle (not sure if that was 7-1/4" or 8-1/4"), so I think this was a pretty good deal.

IMG_2517.JPG

I know these are a little different than the early 7-1/4" so my 9" drums won't swap over, but I'm hoping it should bolt right into place once I switch over to disc brakes and should give me the 5 x 4.5" all around. He gave me the springs as well, will these go into an early A body ('64 Dart convertible) if I decide to use them after cleaning them up?

Good score, as long as you dont plan to put serious hp against it. It will all work in your early A; springs, housing, and axles.

Some people give them away, but never when you're needing one.

I'm keeping the slant six and 904, just want to update the rest to make it better for driving in traffic.

............So I guess that locks out that Eaton blower project, right?.....LOL

that guy made out getting someone to give him $50 for that thing. around here you can't give them away...

that guy made out getting someone to give him $50 for that thing. around here you can't give them away...
Agreed. It all has to do with location.

I sold one last year for $100, but it was complete from drum to drum with newer brakes parts. I just looked at it as selling newer bbp brakes and throwing in an axle for free.

Last edited:
I put one out out of a ‘75 valiant with 114,000 miles on the clock into my first ‘71 Duster \6 904 car to replace the original 7-1/4 that was roaring. It went through a lot of abuse spinning in snow and on wet roads and never whimpered or gave any trouble. I put it out to pasture after going 8-1/4 with 3.21s and unfortunately let time and weather have its way with it. My present 7-1/4s pinion bearings are making the vibration of impending doom like the driveshaft is running in an orbital rotation...

Last edited:
The springs may work,...but You will have to mod the hangers to accept the larger front eye-bolts,..and chose eye-bolts carefully....there aint a lot of room in an Early-A between the hangers & the frame rails........& I think You scored fine!

-
Back