Locating the hump

-

71cdnduster

Reaction score
I am converting an automatic 1971 Duster to a 4 speed and have ordered the hump but am wondering where to locate it once I get it. A picture of one installed or during installation would be great if anyone has.
Tks alot, Mike :scratch:

If the repro hump is anything like the factory one it is shaped to fit in the correct general area of the tunnel. When I coverted a car I cut just a big enough hole that I could get the shifter on the trans in the car. Then with the shifter in neutral I centered the stick in the opening for the boot on the hump, then put in a couple of screws to hold the hump in place. Then trace around the hump and remove the hump. Measure the width of the flange on the hump and measure in from the trace line the width of the flange then make your cut out in the floor. Then use your original screws to re-attach the hump in position and weld in place or screw it down if you what to be able to remove it later.

It'll only fit properly in the correct location. Lay it down and spray paint around the edge. Cut about 1/2" inside the paint line. Then screw it in place or weld it. I like screws.

did you guys have a gap at the back of your hump? mine has a gap and I know others do too, how did you fill in this space?

I've never installed an aftermarket, but the gap is there because they copied a late piece. Just get a piece of sheetmetal and form it to fit.

Thanks for the replies, I guess I should have mentioned that I wont have the engine/transmission in the car. We are in the body/sheet metal phase and I was going to get all the welding done at the same time. It sounds like it will follow the original tunnel form so I will try it when I actually get the part...next week or so. I was hoping for a picture which would give me a visual reference cuz I dont think there is alot of leeway for positioning and still be able to shift properly. Mike

That's why I did mine with the trans in the car so I was assured of it being in the right place. With the hit and miss quality and fit of parts nowadays I wanted to be sure and only install it once. You could just put the trans mounted to the crossmember and a jack to hold the front up to position the hump or you could take your chances if you are a gambling man.

340mopar said:
You could just put the trans mounted to the crossmember and a jack to hold the front up to position the hump or you could take your chances if you are a gambling man.

wow now why didnt I think of that. I havent put the hump in yet but I was going to test fit the trans before I welded anything. I was going to put it in with motor and all :)

There's actually quite a bit of leeway. Here's a pic of the cutout in my old Dart. This will show the location of the shifter.

4speedinstall.jpg

-
Back