location of prop valve?

-

R3dplanet

Reaction score
I'm going to install an SSBC combination/proportion block/valve whatever/youcallit. Where should it mount? Photo?

Thanks!

Stock, locations were mostly below the master cyl, mounted on what would be the frame rail, either on top, of just inside the rail / engine side.

I put mine on the inside frame rail just after the block that splits the front brakes from the rear with the adjusting knob facing down so you can reach under the car to adjust it without crawling under the car.

I'll bet that would have been a whole lot easier to install before I installed the engine.

Whoops.

I'm going to install an SSBC combination/proportion block/valve whatever/youcallit. Where should it mount? Photo?

Thanks!

Don't know what the SSBC looks like but I mounted my Wilwood under the drivers floorboard using a fabbed bracket that bolts to the existing seat holes. You can adjust it without leaving your seat. I like keeping the brake components away from exhaust heat & the factory lines are way close to the headers so I rerouted everything. This is on a 65 but the general concept is the same.

Propvalve2.jpg

Right, this is the unit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SSB-A0730

It's not as easy as just putting it in serial with the rear brake line. Instead, both front and rear lines from the master cylinder are attached at the inputs of the new block, and then left/front, right/front, and rear outputs go to each of the brakes. Its involved.

I don't like the idea of putting it so close to the exhaust like I've seen when I asked about its original location at the beginning of this thread. It can't be a good idea to superheat the brake fluid. It looks like it could be mounted on the inside of the fender to the exact opposite side of the default frame location, but then I worry what might happen if the car runs over something substantial. I had also thought of putting it up top in the engine bay, but that's a large number of connections just waiting to leak corrosive brake fluid all over the place if it isn't perfect when its first hooked up. Lower seems better.

There doesn't seem to be a perfect place. I spend a lot of time on the creeper looking up from below thinking about this problem. I like mounting it slightly aft, about where you put it in relation to the front seats. It's cool, its out of the way, its accessible, but in my case its a huge amount of extra plumbing.

Hmm.

Right, this is the unit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SSB-A0730

It's not as easy as just putting it in serial with the rear brake line. Instead, both front and rear lines from the master cylinder are attached at the inputs of the new block, and then left/front, right/front, and rear outputs go to each of the brakes. Its involved.
You could do it that way but it's not necessary. You could just plug the unused input or output if it's not needed. Regardless of what you do you will have to install some new lines to make it work.

-
Back