lock up or non lock up?

-

73dodge

Reaction score
i"m confused with what is lock up and non lock up. How do i know which one i have? I have a 904 that was behind a 273 and i plan to rebuild for a 408
" stroker.

Being it was put behind a 273 by the factory you have a non-lockup converter. A lock up converter has a clutch in it that is activated either hydraulically or by electric that "locks" the converter and makes it a direct drive to the trans...no slipping so to speak. When the clutch locks it will feel like another shift in the trans. They are more efficient and will make the car pull like a freight train in high gear when locked up but you have to make sure the clutch can handle the extra power. A non-lock up converter is just fine and are cheaper to have built and is what probably 99% of us would install in that car if it were ours. Lock-up converters are mainly for OD equipped trannys.

For your application....yes. Also I forgot to mention the input shafts are different on the transmissions so a lock up converter will not fit on a non-lock up trans and vice versa. Call Nelson at ACC:

http://www.accperformance.com/index.htm

He's a great guy and will answer all your questions and give you a converter built for your car for the cost of those crappy off the shelf units. Tell him Phil with the 11 sec 318 Duster sent ya. I run one of his converters and it's a great peice. One of the best parts I have bought for my car. Nothing can screw up a combonation faster than the wrong cam or converter. They are probably the most important parts you can buy and the converter is probably the most often over looked part of the car.

I agree, lockups didnt come around till about 1978 or so. Non-lockup is preffered in performance apps. If you have a straight cruiser, a lockup may not be a bad idea since no slipping at cruise. And definately agree with the how important a good converter is statement. I run a 9 1/2" dynamic in mine

-
Back