Lockers for dragracing?

-

360duster

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

i put a Ford 8.8 in my Valiant, after some racing the traction lok did not work as it shoud. I put in a set of carbon discs, everything´s ok for maybe 2 years and not too much racing or street driving - less than 2000 miles. I was at a very good track recently, after two good passes with 1.57 60ft. the discs failed again...feels just like an open carrier.

I checked the plates, did not found major damage. I think it´s time to upgrade for the future, spool or another locking differential. Are these "lunchbox lockers" from Powertrax or Spartan suited for dragracing? All i can find is that the offroad guys use them successfully...these are not too expensive, setup is easy...looks like an alternative to me. With a spool i have to put in c-clip eliminators and have to setup the gears again.

What do you think?

Michael

Can't comment on the racing aspect, but I ran a powertrax locker for about 8 years in my Dakota. They do work, however they are a bit noisy and jerky. Tire grip has a lot to do with it as well

Hi Guys,

i put a Ford 8.8 in my Valiant, after some racing the traction lok did not work as it shoud. I put in a set of carbon discs, everything´s ok for maybe 2 years and not too much racing or street driving - less than 2000 miles. I was at a very good track recently, after two good passes with 1.57 60ft. the discs failed again...feels just like an open carrier.

I checked the plates, did not found major damage. I think it´s time to upgrade for the future, spool or another locking differential. Are these "lunchbox lockers" from Powertrax or Spartan suited for dragracing? All i can find is that the offroad guys use them successfully...these are not too expensive, setup is easy...looks like an alternative to me. With a spool i have to put in c-clip eliminators and have to setup the gears again.

What do you think?

Michael

stay away from the "lunchbox lockers " for drag racing or street use waste of time and money.

the best unit for your use would be a Detroit locker for your 8.8 --- they deliver 100% of the power to both wheels but still allow differential action on turns --- 8.8 31 spline Detroit locker is made by Eaton part # 187C145A about $620.00 from Summit --- they do state that with 4.56 , 4.88 and 5.13 gears some mods are needed. there are no clutches to wear out,, strictly mechanical lockup.
Nascar uses Detroit lockers and they hold up just fine.

this is not the same as the Truetrac geared unit which is a street use unit .

I have a powertrax locker in my 90 Dodge w250 CTD and have mixed feelings about it. It's great for putting power to both wheels and it was cheaper than a limited slip diff and it was fairly easy to install, but it absolutely sucks when turning while off throttle like in parking lots or going around a corner, it feels like it snaps the driveshaft back and fourth when it locks and unlocks.
Oh and every so often when taking off from a light one half will slip and will give a loud pop like someone hit the driveshaft with a sledgehammer, and a few times I've had both side slip on me and that feels like I just got rear-ended by someone.
So would I recommend a locker for drag racing? NO absolutely not, put a spool in it and some good axles if it's going to be a mostly track car that gets driven on the street occasionally.

thank you all for the information. So it seems not the best idea to put one in the axle....if the stock differential fails again it´s spool time.

Michael

thank you all for the information. So it seems not the best idea to put one in the axle....if the stock differential fails again it´s spool time.

Michael

I know this is going to start a sh*** storm but if your car sees any street driving at all -- forget about the spool idea --- and also c-clip eliminators -- both are not street friendly --- go with an actual Eaton Detroit Locker as I mentioned above and you will be fine for both street and track---
actual Detroit Lockers have been around forever and are proven -- they did install them in 70's Drag pack optioned Mustangs// Cougars/ Torino etc.
I always run one in my street cars and have installed many more in various Fords and Mopars for fellows that wanted the best /strongest differential for street and track use.

-
Back