Locking Your Cars!

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
hey guys, thought i would pass this on to all of you since i think we can all benefit from it...its sad to know that the world of thieves just keeps progressing and getting sneakier:angry7:...anyways, share this with your family and friends

LOCK YOUR CAR SAFELY!

How to Lock Your Car and Why.

I locked my car --- as I walked away I heard my car door unlock I went back and locked my car again three times. I looked around and there were two guys sitting in a car in the fire lane next to the store. When I looked straight at them they did not unlock my car again.

How to lock your car safely.

While traveling, my son stopped at a roadside park. He came out to his car less than 4-5 minutes later and found someone had gotten into his car, and stolen his cell phone, laptop computer, GPS navigator briefcase.....you name it...

He called the police and since there were no signs of his car being broken into - the police told him that there is a device that robbers are using now to clone your security code when you lock your doors on your car using your key-chain locking device.

They sit a distance away and watch for their next victim. They know you are going inside of the store, restaurant, or bathroom and have a
few minutes to steal and run. The police officer said to manually lock your car door-by hitting the lock button inside the car, that way if there is
someone sitting in a parking lot watching for their next victim it will not be you.

When you hit the lock button on your car upon exiting...it does not send the security code, but if you walk away and use the door lock on your key chain - it sends the code through the airwaves where it can be stolen. Something totally new to us...and real.

Be aware of this and please pass this note on...look how many times we all lock our doors with our remote...just to be sure we remembered to lock them....and bingo someone has our code...and whatever was in the car...can be stolen.

Snopes Approved. Please share with everyone you know... Good information!!!

sounds like some gone in sixty seconds crap. good to know man. sorry to hear about your sons luck.

Good tip and yes, there is "equipment" that can get the frequency. The same can be said for garage door openers.

Unfotunately, the OE alarm on my Jeep must be activated via the fob. In my hood they just bust the window out anyway.

The earliest RKE systems were quite vulnerable to the sort of attack described in the warning e-mails quoted above. Their RF transmitters (usually built into key fobs) sent unique identifying codes that could be picked off by 'code grabbers,' devices that recorded the codes sent out when drivers pushed buttons on their remote key fobs to lock or unlock their cars. However, times change and technology advances. In response to the fixed code security weakness, automakers shifted from RKEs with fixed codes to systems employing rolling random codes. These codes change every time a given RKE system is used to lock or unlock car doors and thus renders 'code grabbers' ineffective. That form of more robust code system became the industry standard for remote keyless entry systems in the mid-1990s, so automobiles newer than that are not vulnerable to being quickly and easily opened by criminals armed with code grabbers. It is theoretically possible for a very determined thief armed with the right technology and the ability to manipulate it correctly to snatch a keycode from the air and use it to enter a vehicle. However, the complexity and length of time involved in that process means your typical crook can't simply grab an RKE code in a parking lot and open up the corresponding car within a minute or two: the would-be thief would need specialized knowledge and equipment and would have to spend hours (if not days) crunching data and replicating a device to produce the correct entry code, then hope he could locate the same vehicle again once all the other steps had been completed. (In most parking lot scenarios, the target car would be long gone before the putative thief was able to open it.) As Microchip Technology, the manufacturer of KEELOQ brand RKE systems, noted of this possibility: The theoretical attack requires detailed knowledge of the system implementation and a combination of data, specialized skills, equipment and access to various components of a system which is seldom feasible.

Thanks!

I was wondering how long it would take to crack the codes. Seemed too good to be true.

The teenagers around here go looking for unlocked cars. I've even seen the girls trying to open car doors. Times have sure changed. I'm afraid of forgetting to lock my car.

Yet another reason new cars (anything built after 74) suck!

You could just do what I do and leave a totally insane blue heeler in your car. If anyone gets with in 5 feet of his dart he starts barking and goes nuts.

hey guys, this was an email sent to me by a friend (didnt actually happent to my son- im only 19 lol)....tomt96 you make a good point there thanks for sharing, but for anyone who has a car 1990's or earlier i guess this is for them...its just sickening to know that theives are constantly looking for new ways to steal...get a job and flippin life for goodness sake

You could just do what I do and leave a totally insane blue heeler in your car. If anyone gets with in 5 feet of his dart he starts barking and goes nuts.

A friend of ours had his German Shepherd with when he stopped at a store on the way home. In the 2 minutes he was in the store, the dog managed to wiggle out the pick-up window and disappear.

I called the cops and let them know we were looking for a lost dog and gave them numbers to call if it was reported.

A few minutes later, they called back with a report of a German Shepherd sitting in a convertible near the store. The dog wouldn't leave and was "protecting" the car from anyone getting close to it. Ray went over, only to find his dog sitting in someone's car. However, the car was the same year and color as as the Olds 442 he had at home. He even had a hard time convincing the dog to abandon her guard.

on my truck if you lock it with the fob and even use the key to unlock the door the horn starts honking. If you lock it with the fob you have to unlock it with one of the two programmed fobs as well. You also can't program your own fobs or keys on this vehicle.

Yet another reason new cars (anything built after 74) suck!

and puts holes in an otherwise perfect dash:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

I thought that that car alarms/keyless entry systems had an unlock code that was different from the lock code, and that they generate a new code every time based on an algorithm.

Back in the day, I stopped at the local 7/11 and while I was inside we heard something akin to a a large pig with a huge knife stuck in him.
I ran outside to find a rather large guy standing (hanging) on his tiptoes next to my work van with his armpit firmly attached to the top of the driver door glass that I left rolled down about 8 inches. Attached to his arm was my 118 lb. K9 Doberman.
He told the cops (as they were loading him in the ambulance) that he just wanted to pet the puppy.
I told the cops (which I knew) that the dog does not get off his spot between the seats unless somebody fiddles with the vehicle.
Cops believed me (they knew the dog also) and the guy's rap sheet showed about 6 pages of burglaries.
When he stuck his arm thru the window, the puppy grabbed his wrist and then proceeded to work his way up the arm until he could go no farther. Sorta like when you reel in a fish, pull and take up slack, repeat, etc.

Best anti-theft device I ever had.

He told the cops (as they were loading him in the ambulance) that he just wanted to pet the puppy.

When he stuck his arm thru the window, the puppy grabbed his wrist and then proceeded to work his way up the arm until he could go no farther. Sorta like when you reel in a fish, pull and take up slack, repeat, etc.

Best anti-theft device I ever had.

LOL! NO ONE reaches in a car to pet a doberman. :-D

A friend of ours had his German Shepherd with when he stopped at a store on the way home. In the 2 minutes he was in the store, the dog managed to wiggle out the pick-up window and disappear.

I called the cops and let them know we were looking for a lost dog and gave them numbers to call if it was reported.

A few minutes later, they called back with a report of a German Shepherd sitting in a convertible near the store. The dog wouldn't leave and was "protecting" the car from anyone getting close to it. Ray went over, only to find his dog sitting in someone's car. However, the car was the same year and color as as the Olds 442 he had at home. He even had a hard time convincing the dog to abandon her guard.

Great story!

That was just his excuse...he didn't know the puppy was in there.....until the teeth sank in!

-
Back