Lockup to Non

-

Mopar Sam

Well Fed Member
Reaction score
My youngest son's 88 D100's 727 is shot. It is a lockup 727.

He is planning to put a 360 in sometime next year.

He wants to convert to non lockup and use a reverse manual valve body. Can we use the lockup case and just swap the input shaft and pump out of a non lockup trans, or should we just rebuild another core? I have a non lockup core, but it is for a big block.

He already has the RVMB and a non lockup converter.

Sam, Look up Mopar Action archives tech section. They did a article on what port needs to be blocked off. Been a few years ago that I read about it but was pretty simple job.

Sam, Look up Mopar Action archives tech section. They did a article on what port needs to be blocked off. Been a few years ago that I read about it but was pretty simple job.

Will do, Thanks!

I would keep the LU, but
in your case I would just get an A998non-LU core, with whatever gear ratio I wanted.
But really, I guess it works either way.
A999s are usually 2.74-1.54-1.00 and
A998s could be .. 2.45-1.45-1.00, or as above, and can be LU or not.

I would keep the LU, but
in your case I would just get an A998non-LU core, with whatever gear ratio I wanted.
But really, I guess it works either way.
A999s are usually 2.74-1.54-1.00 and
A998s could be .. 2.45-1.45-1.00, or as above, and can be LU or not.

The thing is, this is his only transportation. He is using my truck to get to work, but I need it a couple days a week myself.

So, as soon as the kit gets here we need to get it together and back in...

We don't want to keep the lock up, because when he builds the 360 it will need a real converter. and I will not build a trans unless it gets a reverse pattern VB, or a brake.

I love the 904 based trans, but I only have one and I am going to keep it for another project, Even if he had one, he would have to get a driveshaft made. That would add more time to the equation.

-
Back