Loctite or anti seeze??

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Have to swap out the top motor mount on the chopper. 110" V-twin that vibrates a bit...no rubber mounts any where. Anyhow top mount is threaded into the tops of the aluminum cylinder heads. Not going to take it apart on a regular basis but will need to take it apart sooner or later. When I took it apart there was no evidence of any type of sealer or lubricant.....and both bolts were loose....again. I check them every couple of weeks or so when riding it. Am hesitant to use any sort of lock washer due to the motor mount being chrome.

I would use antiseize myself , as far as locking it use a stainless flat washer with a stainless lock washer on top .

the flat washer will protect the chrome and the stainless can be polished.

Lowe's has a good selection of stainless bolts and washers.

When I did my current 340 all the bolts besides head ,rod and main bolts were replaced with stainless. Even stainless Arp header bolts

Doug could you use "gasket maker" by loctite? Similar to loctite, but I believe it doesnt harden?
I like Geo's idea with flat washer and then lock washer.

I would use antiseize myself , as far as locking it use a stainless flat washer with a stainless lock washer on top .

the flat washer will protect the chrome and the stainless can be polished.

Lowe's has a good selection of stainless bolts and washers.

When I did my current 340 all the bolts besides head ,rod and main bolts were replaced with stainless. Even stainless Arp header bolts

There is an ACE hardware in Spokane that has a pretty good selection of stainless hardware.....will take a look at Lowes. Which do you think offers a better grip, the toothed type or the split type? Really getting tired of things falling off....:banghead:

I would try blue Locktite.

There is an ACE hardware in Spokane that has a pretty good selection of stainless hardware.....will take a look at Lowes. Which do you think offers a better grip, the toothed type or the split type? Really getting tired of things falling off....:banghead:

The split type comes in stainless , don't think the toothed ones do.

I prefer the split type myself , it's easier to tell when they are worn out

the blue locktite could pull the threads out of the aluminum heads.

The antiseize will keep the metal from seizing in the aluminum

Ok.

I have used Loctite 567 Pipe thread sealant as a low strength thread locker, it also keeps the water out.....along with the s/s bolt,washer and split washer.

drill a hole and safety wire it. with anti-seize on threads
This.

Lock washers are a failure looking for a place to happen. Carroll Smith covers this in "Engineer to Win" and I think again in "Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners, & Plumbing" (or "Screw to Win" as he wanted to call it). There is a MIL-SPEC for nuts, bolts, and flat washers. There isn't one for split 'lock washers'. That isn't an over-sight. Star type are good for grounding electrcials, otherwise leave them on the shelf in the store. I toss out those that come in any kits.

I myself would use antiseize. OR you could use some sort of silver paint on the threads. this normally works too, specially in aluminum, and on or around chromed items.......

Have been after Leroy, a neighbor that is a retired FAA inspector and an avid plan enthusiast, to re-educate me how to safety wire...guess now might be the time. Never even thought about safety wiring. Thanks....

permatex hylomar is what you need, same stuff used to keep 2 cycle engines together.

I think what 69mope is referencing is "Stage 8 Locking Fasteners"...
Google them.
I'd go for safety wiring them. Install them to proper torque, then mark where you want to drill them, pull'em and drill. You want the wire to be pulled in the direction of tightening, not just connecting the two bolts, i.e., if they were to start backing out, it would tension the wire.
I work on "other" bikes full-time and a friend of mine started last year at a nearby H-D dealer... He says those guys don't have a clue what a torque wrench is, and use impact gun and Loctite on EVERYTHING!
And no, blue Loctite will NOT pull threads out of aluminum.

Hylomar is a great sealant, maybe even exceptional sealant (English stuff doesn't leak when assembled with it), but it's not a thread-locker.

ink junkie , I've been using high heat silicone on all big inch shovels and pan heads
for the last 20 years never had one come lose yet and never had one strip the threads upon removal. In fact I just did this again (h-h-silicone) on my bar hopper
or bobber as you guys call them down south, 96 inch SS evo style big block in
my rigid frame with a springer .Building my 15 year old a 650 bonnie little bar hopper/ bobber and used hi heat silicone on all the allen head screws that hold the primary cover , timing covers, tranny covers on. Triumphs everythings aluminum, been doing that for over 30 years works great and easy to clean next time you take it apart. Cheers , and ride safe but hard, if your in the wind you aint in the hospital.

permatex hylomar is what you need, same stuff used to keep 2 cycle engines together.

Stopped at NAPA today....Rich told me that Permatex Hylomar is no longer available. He dug out an older book and entered the part number in the computer and came up with no longer available.

a grade 8 bolt is still going to shake loose.....
/QUOTE]

He is referring to Stage 8 locking fasteners. Awesome product, I use them on my headers. You could use those with neversieze and it would be the best of both worlds.

Those fasteners can not back out.

pics of what will be my kids first street bike , he will 16 in May.

Attachments

• 1968 triumph 001.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 190
  • 1968 triumph 003.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 1968 triumph 005.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 181
  • 93 inch engine pics 001.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 158
Hylomar IS still available. Permatex just doesn't market it any more (they never made it).

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-85249-Hylomar-Universal-Dressing/dp/B0018PSATY/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt"]Amazon.com: Permatex 85249 Hylomar Universal Blue Racing Formula Gasket Dressing and Flange Sealant, 1.2 oz.: Automotive[/ame]

ACL used to make Hylomar under licence from Rolls Royce.
ACL are finished now, and I have seen a yellow coloured can called Hylomar in the local REPCO store, but I cannot remember the brand of it.

-
Back