Long awaited dyno numbers are in

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’ve been patiently waiting to see the dyno numbers on my buddy’s engine that I did a set of heads for over the winter. This is the engine going in his Duster that my son has driven the last couple years. I really struggled to get these heads right with a 2.08 valve. Honestly I wouldn’t have gone over a 2.055 if I had know he was going to limit me to a .030 over 4.030 chamber size. (4.060). Even after all the extra hours I put into them he ended up with 2.055 flow numbers. This set of heads was ported by a friend years ago with a 2.02 valve. With the same block, a hair smaller cam, ported M1 (I think) and flat tops it made 555 horsepower. With the new cam, dome pistons, the Edelbrock heads I ported, and my ported Super Victor that he borrowed it now made 638 horsepower. He shifts under 6500 so I doubt they pulled it very high. Sorry I don’t have more info. Here’s the before and after flow numbers from his heads. Honestly up to .550 lift they weren’t bad heads but as you can see I did make improvements. I can’t give you cam specs as it is a custom and not mine but the lift is a hair higher than my .660 and duration @ .050 would be more if it was mine.

IMG_3580.jpeg

Good work as always John. Your expertise and attention to detail certainly helped this engine to wake up.

Hell yeah! 638 HP naturally aspirated small block? That's amazing.

Stroke?

I’ve been patiently waiting to see the dyno numbers on my buddy’s engine that I did a set of heads for over the winter. This is the engine going in his Duster that my son has driven the last couple years. I really struggled to get these heads right with a 2.08 valve. Honestly I wouldn’t have gone over a 2.055 if I had know he was going to limit me to a .030 over 4.030 chamber size. (4.060). Even after all the extra hours I put into them he ended up with 2.055 flow numbers. This set of heads was ported by a friend years ago with a 2.02 valve. With the same block, a hair smaller cam, ported M1 (I think) and flat tops it made 555 horsepower. With the new cam, dome pistons, the Edelbrock heads I ported, and my ported Super Victor that he borrowed it now made 638 horsepower. He shifts under 6500 so I doubt they pulled it very high. Sorry I don’t have more info. Here’s the before and after flow numbers from his heads. Honestly up to .550 lift they weren’t bad heads but as you can see I did make improvements. I can’t give you cam specs as it is a custom and not mine but the lift is a hair higher than my .660 and duration @ .050 would be more if it was mine.

View attachment 1716275164
Damn, nice improvement

What rough duration?
What compression?
What intake? Did you port the intake as well?

I listed what intake
Very low 260’s duration
Not my build so I don’t know the compression. Heck I never even figured out mine. Lol
Sorry I missed the intake. Just curious how one makes those power numbers. Damn impressive

Sorry I missed the intake. Just curious how one makes those power numbers. Damn impressive

I’m not going to say it’s easy but it sure isn’t as hard as it used to be. If you would have told me 25 years ago we would be making over 600 horsepower with Edelbrock or Speedmaster type of heads I probably would have thought you were lying.

Like I said I had nothing to do with the shortblock. Vic’s builder was very very sick so that was the holdup on getting everything assembled. You guys know I’m not much into dyno numbers but I like the fact both engines were on the same dyno by the same operator at the same shop. He ran TrickFlow heads last year so hopefully this topend preforms better than the 6.60’s eighth mile times from last year.

Like I said I had nothing to do with the shortblock. Vic’s builder was very very sick so that was the holdup on getting everything assembled. You guys know I’m not much into dyno numbers but I like the fact both engines were on the same dyno by the same operator at the same shop. He ran TrickFlow heads last year so hopefully this topend preforms better than the 6.60’s eighth mile times from last year.

Please update this thread when you know some ET's.

View attachment 1716275164

Hey John, did your friend give you a torque number??

Just curious.

Hey John, did your friend give you a torque number??

Just curious.

No all I got was a couple texts from my son. They are doing a few upgrades to the car and it should be out in a couple weeks hopefully. I know I was on a three way talk with Vic and the PAC rep and we set this up with an LS spring for a lower rpm usage. I personally would not run that spring. But then again the chamber would have been bigger too

Well if he shifts under 6500 rpms and you don't think they would of pull too much rpm on the dyno, he'd probably have to be around 600 lbs-ft.

-
Back