Long lug nuts

-

cudamark

Reaction score
Anyone have a good source for the factory long chrome lug nuts that were used on the '65-6 A-bodies with the exposed lug nut wheel covers? Layson's shows them as "coming soon" in stainless, but, no date or price yet. I guess I could get mine rechromed, but, I thought I'd ask here in case there's a better option.

Just my two cents but I took a Race Car Technology college course many years ago and learned that Chroming ANY component that is under load is not a good idea because the chroming process imparts Hydrogen Embrittlement.

I have used and seen chrome lug nuts for a half century now and I don't remember ever seeing one crack or split.

I've broken studs off with them so I think they are as strong as they need to be. But to answer the question, the correct long chrome nuts for the "bolt-thru" wheel covers were for many years exclusively sold by Frank Mitchell for a fairly steep price ($125 for 20). I believe Frank is gone but they were still available on eBay a few years ago. But I just checked eBay and I couldn't find them. The generic ones you can buy new are shorter and usually have the wide base, which technically is probably a good idea but isn't correct. Here is an original LH and two typical shorter nuts. You are looking for 7/16-20 for an A-body.

Ah, while I was writing, I see Alan has found the link...

IMG_3717.jpg

@clifcuda65 is the person who was making them out of stainless, but that was some time ago. Maybe message him and see what the possibility of him making some more sets is.

For those that have these, you should use a deep socket on these as the lug wrench will mar the edges half way down.

Alan

I've broken studs off with them so I think they are as strong as they need to be. But to answer the question, the correct long chrome nuts for the "bolt-thru" wheel covers were for many years exclusively sold by Frank Mitchell for a fairly steep price ($125 for 20). I believe Frank is gone but they were still available on eBay a few years ago. But I just checked eBay and I couldn't find them. The generic ones you can buy new are shorter and usually have the wide base, which technically is probably a good idea but isn't correct. Here is an original LH and two typical shorter nuts. You are looking for 7/16-20 for an A-body.

Ah, while I was writing, I see Alan has found the link...

View attachment 1715752648
Mitchell wants over $200 for them now. For that price, my used ones are looking better all the time!:thumbsup:

These MEGA nuts would be OK with rally wheels, but they don't look long enough for the bolt-thru covers. BTW, my father observed that when he swapped in 5.5" wheels for his 4.5" wheels, the lugs didn't protrude as far (makes sense — the covers would ride the rim, 1/2" further from the mounting surface). I think early Barracudas had 13" wheels with bolt-thru covers — it's possible these lugs would be long enough for that application (not sure what the rim width was).

I don't know what the length is for the stock ones. These come in left and right though. A quick phone call to Roy and Jamie will get you an answer as to the length they stock. Chrome Lug Nuts QTY 10 1964-70 A-Body Left Hand Thread, Lug Nuts, 203-LN1003 Reproduction, NOS and Used Mopar Muscle Car Parts

All the stock 13" steel wheels for the Abody I've seen have been 4" wide. I can't remember what kind of lug nuts they used with the exposed lug nut wheel covers. I've only personally owned the 14" version.

I suspect it's just a shorter version....the 1 5/16" ones instead of the 2 3/16" ones?

That looks like one for mag wheels. Too short anyway and I seriously doubt they have ANY with LH threads....which I need for the driver's side.

That looks like one for mag wheels. Too short anyway and I seriously doubt they have ANY with LH threads....which I need for the driver's side.

im sorry, I misread the original post. these are RH thread. And yes for mags.
you need left hand? 7/16 x20?

I need both sides, so, 10 LH, and 10 RH. They're over 2" long and for standard steel wheels. Only the factory look will do on this build.

I need both sides, so, 10 LH, and 10 RH. They're over 2" long and for standard steel wheels. Only the factory look will do on this build.
Come to think of it, when I bought the car it had mix match of lug nuts. And they are short ones
Sorry I couldn’t be of any help

I do believe the 13” covers used the same as 14”
All the stock 13" steel wheels for the Abody I've seen have been 4" wide. I can't remember what kind of lug nuts they used with the exposed lug nut wheel covers. I've only personally owned the 14" version.

I do believe the 13” covers used the same as 14”
There is no way the covers I have on my 67 Barracuda would work on a 13" wheel, as it is the cover go over the rim of the wheel, no way it is touching the tire (another 1/2")

Alan

-
Back