long or short tail

-
No such thing as a short tail 904 or 727 in a passenger car.

Long tail shaft is for a car and standard truck or van. The short tail shaft is for club cab trucks or longer. Those trucks have a 2 peice drive shaft.

Curtis

I have a 727 long tail ( I was told,it came with 73 scamp when I bought it) and a friend of mine found a motor home with a 360 4 barrel and 727 short tail he says is correct for my car. But he is also the guy I sent to pick up a 8 1/4 rear end showed up with 7 1/4 lucky for the guy that ripped me of for it.

Almost the entire rear section of a short tail is different (Including the output shaft)
Also, most motorhomes have the E-brake drum on the rear of the trans.

It could be used, but the short output shaft would have to be replaced by tearing down the entire trans and changing the output shaft, and then putting the long output housing and support bearing.

I have a 727 long tail ( I was told,it came with 73 scamp when I bought it) and a friend of mine found a motor home with a 360 4 barrel and 727 short tail he says is correct for my car. But he is also the guy I sent to pick up a 8 1/4 rear end showed up with 7 1/4 lucky for the guy that ripped me of for it.

Your buddy doesn't have a clue about torqueflites. As mentioned earlier short tailshaft torqueflites are only for large trucks and motorhomes.

I put a 318/727 from a B200 van under my first 67 B'cuda years ago. Even with a shift kit it sucked. A juckyard 904 was a huge improvement. I suppose the difference is in the gear ratio inside the trans but a 904 does a much better job of delivering small block power to the road.

So other than the linkage the motor home trans has no value?

Oh it has value. It's a nice HD unit so all the rotating parts are valuable. Just what Trail Beast said about the problems changing it over. If you were rebuilding your trans. anyway it'd be a great starting point.

-
Back