Long valves in a X head?

-

mr68gts

Reaction score
Curious if anyone has done this? Can't afford w2's right now but I am still going to go ahead with the build for now. Have some extra x and J heads laying around. Thought what the hell!
Comments....

If you are thinking of using the W2 long valves (~5.25") I have seen this done by milling the rocker pedestals and using aftermarket shaft blocks to raise the shafts up. The blocks for the x head were drilled in center while the w2 race head blocks are drilled off center. I have not seen these on center blocks for sale any time lately. I am sure there are other creative solutions as well.

If it were me I would not modify the x heads for long w2 valves if you intend to upgrade later. The cost could be comparable to other.good choices in aftermarket heads. You could run what you have with a good valve job and minor port clean up and save foe a.later upgrade.

Mostly I'm worried about the cam which is why the long valves. I considered w2 long valves but there's a lot of valve train geometry issues in a std head.I was thinking about a .100 long valve with 1.6 rockers. It depends on where the change in the ratio is on the rocker though I think. May just save up for the heads anyway but not go w2. I don't think I can fit the cam I want with the current X heads I have on the engine now. (it's at .507 and the retainers are pretty close but changing retainers may help with clearance issues.) Just thinking outside the box.

If you are thinking of using the W2 long valves (~5.25") I have seen this done by milling the rocker pedestals and using aftermarket shaft blocks to raise the shafts up. The blocks for the x head were drilled in center while the w2 race head blocks are drilled off center. I have not seen these on center blocks for sale any time lately. I am sure there are other creative solutions as well.

If it were me I would not modify the x heads for long w2 valves if you intend to upgrade later. The cost could be comparable to other.good choices in aftermarket heads. You could run what you have with a good valve job and minor port clean up and save foe a.later upgrade.

Look at 'Special Notes:' on this page.........

http://www.harlandsharp.com/sb_mopar.htm

"Rockers are designed for big lift cams requiring .100-.150 taller valves."
"Rocker spring clearance is limited to 1.500" if more spring clearance is required, contact our customer service department to discuss your options."

Mostly I'm worried about the cam which is why the long valves. I considered w2 long valves but there's a lot of valve train geometry issues in a std head.I was thinking about a .100 long valve with 1.6 rockers. It depends on where the change in the ratio is on the rocker though I think. May just save up for the heads anyway but not go w2. I don't think I can fit the cam I want with the current X heads I have on the engine now. (it's at .507 and the retainers are pretty close but changing retainers may help with clearance issues.) Just thinking outside the box.

Just have the guides cut down. Have you checked piston to valve clearance?

Here is a link to Hughes engines. It shows different retainer options that change the installed height. This can help with your retainer to guide clearance issues and save the cost of cutting the guides. Get a light checker spring or snap gauge to measure how much clearance you actually have on several of the spring seats to provide an idea of clearance available before buying any parts.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...ZXJzLCBMb2NrcyAmIEFjY2Vzc29yaWVz&partid=10307

-
Back