Long winded holley 2 barrel question....

-

66durgederp

"pull hard, itll come easy"
Reaction score
so this is going to be long winded, but i have a basic question. Got a side job de-smogging/re-wiring/tuning up a 78 W100. 360 4 speed. turns out this thing is a factory mongoloid. this truck only has 37,000 original miles, service records since new, its literally a time capsule. however upon working on this thing it turns out it was wired and setup for an automatic, but was factory ordered with a stick. I found the build sheet to prove this. It had 2 factory starter relays (both were for an automatic setup ie: 2nd spade for the safety switch) with factory molded connections to jump between the 2 relays....talk about messed up. The carburetor has the kickdown stud, and the throttle bracket has the provision for a kickdown linkage, the neutral safety switch wiring is all there (truck 4 speeds in the 70s didnt have one), and was hooked into the 1st starter relay for obviously no reason. Also half of the wiring is 79, and the rest 78. there is a huge difference between those years because in 79 dodge started putting diagnostic connectors in their harnesses. this truck has it all....except the connector, and all the wires just lead to dead ends. Anyway now ive moved on to the p.o.s. holley 2210\2245 two barrel thats feeding this very sad 360. has ANYONE had any luck or any good experience with these pieces of poo? the three that i burned through (literally roasted) in my cordoba were the worst user-friendly carburetors i have come around to date. so if anyone has any sort of pointers....id muchly appreciate it. thank you!

Wow, nobody responded to this?... I have a 2210 on my 73 dodge and it runs great! Most dependable vehicle I've ever owned. Only reason I quit driving it was because I had a car with better mileage and a 70 mile round trip to work, and the brakes started getting squishy. So it got parked. But after 3 years is running just as good as the day I parked it. I routinely got 17mpg which I thought was pretty good considering it would get 17mpg while towing a car trailer and a duster at 80mph. I heard a lot of people say they hate this carb. But I've never had a single problem with it except I had some debris in the seat and it flooded. That was an easy fix though.

If you like to crank down the air cleaner wingnut like it is holding the
whole car together, you've ruined the carbs.The upper casting is not well anchored
to the main body,which wouldn't matter if the AF stud wasn't screwed to it instead
of the main body.Once you over-tighten the AF and pull-up/distort the upper casting,
the accel. discharge runs down the side of the venturis instead of shooting out of the
squirters,and the vacuum port running up thru' to control the PV bleeds off the signal.
Undamaged,they work perfectly, & are easy to rebuild. However, I have
seen some kits w/less than stellar components,causing accel. pump issues etc. Also
if the carb is operated w/the accel. pump plate not tight on the actuating shaft, the
indexing "flats" will wear open resulting in ineffective pump operation,even after re-
tightening it will slip. I ran one (2245 w/the adjustable PV spring) on a built slanty &
turned 88 MPH in the 1/4 w/it, it ran great but wasn't quite enuff for my cammed eng.
The real (1.5"Hg depression)flow of those carbs is 272 CFM.

-
Back