lOOk at my rear!

-

thejohnnyguy

Young Gun
Reaction score
Let's play a game, name that rear! who can tell me what rear end this is? (please)

Attachments

• rear.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 267
It's ok for a slant 6, or stock 318, anything more than that & it will start disassembling itself.

So I guess my next step is to find another rear before this one blows up... since this 318 is definitely not stock... I'll have to keep my eyes out for a good deal.

my 7 1/4 lasted 4 days with mild abuse with a 318 4 speed :snakeman::snakeman::snakeman::snakeman:

Attachments

• broke 001.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 200
Yep, 7 1/4 rears are only good for 2 things.

Holding up the rear of a car.

Massive grenanding under power..just tell them you just blew up
another Dana 60.

7 1/4. They're not too bad for normal driving. Not even that bad for burnouts. They become a problem when the burnout stops and you suddenly catch tracion. Kiss those spider gears goodbye! It just happened to me.

The good side is, if you can consider it good, is that A: they're stupid cheap to fix and B: you'll get LOTS of practice replacing the rear end.

Charlie_S is a kickass slant 6 racer and he let me in on a little secret. I'm probably gonna get beat up for even suggesting this, but a Ford 8inch rear is a lot stronger and will bolt right up with no mods other than afro-engineering a hybrid U-joint. They're readily available and CHEAP because the disg-ustang crowd throws them out in favor of the 9inch (like we scrap anything in favor of an 8 3/4) and many come with posi. Luckily I scored a SG 8 1/4 for free so I didn't have to sell my soul to the Ford devil.

7 1/4. They're not too bad for normal driving. Not even that bad for burnouts. They become a problem when the burnout stops and you suddenly catch tracion. Kiss those spider gears goodbye! It just happened to me.

The good side is, if you can consider it good, is that A: they're stupid cheap to fix and B: you'll get LOTS of practice replacing the rear end.

Charlie_S is a kickass slant 6 racer and he let me in on a little secret. I'm probably gonna get beat up for even suggesting this, but a Ford 8inch rear is a lot stronger and will bolt right up with no mods other than afro-engineering a hybrid U-joint. They're readily available and CHEAP because the disg-ustang crowd throws them out in favor of the 9inch (like we scrap anything in favor of an 8 3/4) and many come with posi. Luckily I scored a SG 8 1/4 for free so I didn't have to sell my soul to the Ford devil.

Really? All of the dimensions are the same?

Really? All of the dimensions are the same?

I never had to test it myself, but apparently even the e-brake hooks up with no modification. This comes from a few guys who know exactly what they're talking about and who've done it themselves. Same springs, shocks, everything. The Ford 8 inch even has the 5 x 4.5 (big) bolt pattern.

Don't take it from me, PM Charlie_S. He's a heavy hitter on the /6 boards.

-
Back