Look what followed me home

-

Turboomni

Reaction score
I have been watching this site for awhile now but usually hang out on FCBO as I drive a 69 Plymouth Fury III.
She runs a 505 440 stroker designed by Mr Porter from PRH. A nice powerful cruiser that I love driving.

20210716_133002 (1).jpg

Although I have many little things to do with the Fury I have had an itch for another project. Something that would be more raucous and in your face and frankly rude compared to my Fury.
This spring I was going to look for an A body and maybe wanted a 65 Dart as I love the looks of it.
Talked to my engine builder about A bodies and he said he knew of something I should really look at if you want a project, a 1971 Dodge Demon. Interior is intact although it was a drag car for awhile. I will install a manual most likely a 4 speed and would like to see how well within reason you can make these things handle on the street as they are so light. It has an 8 3/4 in it. So I will have many questions I'm sure in the near future.
IMG_3450.JPG

IMG_3431.JPG

IMG_3454 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3434 - Copy.JPG

Welcome :thumbsup:. I like the 69/70 Furies also.

As far as the Demon and being raucous, you already have BB experience, but with a 4spd, a high winding small block with some gear really wets my whistle.:)

I love that Fury III! I tore the motor mounts out of an old 383 Fury, one of my dad's trying to go from backing up to drive with my foot to the floor! I was 16, what can I say. Dad was not happy. That was either a 69 or 70 Fury. And grab that Demon!

I nailed down the Demon and she is mine. I have a working 440 in my garage and as enticing the grunt is I worry about the weight of this monster stuck in an A body. I have the Fury which would rather go straight but my thought of the demon is a whacky 4 speed and lighter small block, perhaps a stroker to handle some curvy roads. No BMW M3 of course but enough to please me. My other car is a Dodge Omni GLHS Shelby that handles very well. I will post pics of my Fury and Omni soon if you would like to see them.

I nailed down the Demon and she is mine. I have a working 440 in my garage and as enticing the grunt is I worry about the weight of this monster stuck in an A body. I have the Fury which would rather go straight but my thought of the demon is a whacky 4 speed and lighter small block, perhaps a stroker to handle some curvy roads. No BMW M3 of course but enough to please me. My other car is a Dodge Omni GLHS Shelby that handles very well. I will post pics of my Fury and Omni soon if you would like to see them.
I approve of the Shelby!! :thumbsup:

Here are a few pics of the "Big Boned Gal" as I call her.

20190908_163611 (1).jpg

20210526_105500.jpg

20191013_145032 (1).jpg

IMG_2029 (1).JPG

Engine. I wanted the 505 to look stock. Stealth heads with HP exhaust manifolds and paint. That's a Holley Dominator single plane intake for hood clearance with a 800 cfm Edelbrock AVS2. Sorry the engine is a bit dirty but I drive her alot!

20190908_163540.jpg

The Dodge Omni Glhs. Me having fun at Lime Rock.

TrackNightinAmerica_LRP_20210921_CS1_0653.jpg

20190929_120945 (1).jpg

Love them both and the Demon too! A bodies can be made to handle quite well. An aluminum headed small block would make it easier. That being said my Duster with an aluminum headed 440 handles just fine.

Love them both and the Demon too! A bodies can be made to handle quite well. An aluminum headed small block would make it easier. That being said my Duster with an aluminum headed 440 handles just fine.
Thanks very much! I have been researching here about 440 install in a Demon. I have a complete 440 in my garage waiting for a new home although stock and will need some work. Please correct me if I am wrong but I have read an aluminum headed 440 with also aluminum intake and water pump and housing will be around 50 lbs heavier than a from the factory cast iron headed 340. If true and what you said your Duster handling well I could go through with this just fine. What I am scratching my head about is the whole header thing. TTI I hear makes a top notch header for this application but disappointingly it will not accept power steering. At least that is my understanding. That is my main hang up at the moment in planning this thing. I am not eager to cut out fender wells for headers. Manual brakes are fine and will add front disc setup. Also considering hydraulic clutch if it will make the whole installation easier and give more room. I could do a 360 stroker route and an aluminum topped 360 stroker as would be a good bit lighter, it would I would think and accept headers more easily with power steering and possibly handle a bit better. Anyways that's where I'm at at the moment. Winter is here ,the Demon is in storage and I sit here pondering a plan. Would love to see the 440 install on your Duster.

Mine came with power steering and the Schumacher tri y headers. I pulled them off and converted to manual steering for the Tti 2" under chassis headers. Already had manual discs when I bought it.

Mine has aluminum heads,intake,water pump and housing,and an aluminum radiator. I did upgrade the torsion bars and front shocks and it handles well with no front sway bar. I hope to find a factory front sway bat for it eventually as I don't think it needs a fat front bar for what I am doing.

A small block will be lighter and make everything easier. Plenty of power to be made with a small block, stroker or not.

Tti 2" header pics

Last edited:
Thanks for the link . My assumption is the tri y headers you were not happy with. I was considering that option too. I guess the obvious question is what is it like to drive a Duster with a big block with manual steering? Maybe not such a big deal? Couldn't imagine my Fury with out power steering but this car is so much lighter.

It is the PST 20:1 manual box and other than being a little "tight" on center it is easy to drive. A little effort at slow speeds turning or parking but if my old weak tail can do it anyone can.

The Polara in my avatar was built similar to your Fury and power steering was a must.

Well I think this will be the way to go. Use my 440 that I already have and manual steering and brakes. Eliminating the power steering pump and bracket pully etc must be worth 20 to 30 pounds I would guess,,,all good! Your car looks great, like to see the Polara too. Do not worry I will not be a pain in the *** with incessant questions, but already you have answered the most important ones for me and I thank you sir.

Lots of fun to drive BUT a PITA to fix.
I Hear YA!!! It's gotten to the point I always have an excuse to not work on the glhs anymore since I got my Fury in 2015. I am temped to let mine go possibly to fund the Demon right. I'm also sick of OBD 0
You got that thing to scoot man!!!! Looks like there was no torque steer or you were hanging on for dear life and didnt show it. Very impressive work!

Last edited:
I Hear YA!!! It's gotten to the point I always have an excuse to not work on the glhs anymore since I got my Fury in 2015. I am temped to let mine go possibly to fund the Demon right. I'm also sick of OBD 0
You got that thing to scoot man!!!! Looks like there was no torque steer or you were hanging on for dear life and didnt show it. Very impressive work!
The other end was scary at the MPH. The front end got a little "light". That car was FUN on the street. Not much could beat it.

It was the lack of available parts for the transmission is what got me a little concerned. Hence the sale.

What transmission were you running?
520... It held up. The reduction in the final drive helped on the street. I know that there are faster people out there too running the same transmission. It was time to let it go. It went to a good home in Maryland.

I know of the 520 but not familiar. When I built mine in the 1990’s I went with the 555. I don’t think there are many much faster than you and I can’t imagine driving a Dodge Omni over 120 mph!! My times were nowhere near that. There is one guy, forget his name that broke into the 9’s with a manual tranny in a glht omni at 35+ psi boost!!

Last edited:
I know of the 520 but not familiar. When I built mine in the 1990’s I went with the 555. I don’t think there are many much faster than you and I can’t imagine driving a Dodge Omni over 120 mph!! My times were nowhere near that. There is one guy, forget his name that broke into the 9’s with a manual tranny in a glht omni at 35+ psi boost!!
I know of that car. A black one I believe. I saw it run low 10’s at 138 mph. Definitely impressive!!
The 520 has a 3:55 final drive where as the 555 has a 3:89. Both just as strong.

That'd be James Reeves car, I wouldn't be shocked if he is lurking around here since he has a Duster too. 2.5/555 if I recall correctly.

-
Back