Look what I found, Broken pushrod

-

gtsdude

Reaction score
Pulling apart my 340 to swap cams. Pulled the 273 rockers and pushrods out and found one pushrod had the ball end come loose from the tube. The end was laying in the lifter after pulling out the pushrod. The tube looks like it was beat up a little, so it has been run like this for a while. This is a solid cam it came off of. Maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 365
Probably just beat it loose and it stayed in the end of the rod until you pulled it out.
Lottery time :D

I pulled a few pushrods that the ball end fell out too, and it was shiny so it was moving for a while. Look how deep the ball tip goes, where would it go under the rocker? Not unheard of but its scary when you pull them out and they seperate.

Same thing happened to me. Look for pieces of metal from the end of the push rod.

I also found a few tweaked at the top, barely able to see when I rolled them on the bench. With the new cam it will probably need shorter pushrods anyway. going to pull the heads and clean up the bowls before putting the new springs on.

I bought the car back from a guy I sold it to 5 years ago, not sure if he ever ran the valves or not? I always ran the lash a little tighter than .028/.026 that Mopar specs.

Pulling apart my 340 to swap cams. Pulled the 273 rockers and pushrods out and found one pushrod had the ball end come loose from the tube. The end was laying in the lifter after pulling out the pushrod. The tube looks like it was beat up a little, so it has been run like this for a while. This is a solid cam it came off of. Maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket?

I have broke my share of stuff but never had that one. Whose push rod is it? I can tell you that is one of the reasons I don't lash any cam that loose. If I have to be looser than .020 I get a different stick.

As an example, my current cam lashes at .014/.016 and that is cold.

long Slant pushrods have the tip pressed in too. You can pull the tip, cut them down and press the tip back in for custom LA pushrods. The tip is hardened, the shaft is not. Manton sells tips...
pushrod_tips.jpg

I believe these are Mopar push rods, I always ran the lash at .018/.020, it ran a little quieter too.

-
Back