Look what I found.....

-

USCG CHARGER

Reaction score
Well today I decided to take all the interior outta my car I bought last wk b/c I knew there would be a little water in the carpet. After an Hr of removing everything I made a horrifying discovery! Under my drivers side pan where the hight beam foot switch is there is a huge dent. I knew the guy hit a curb and I thought it just caused damage to the inner splash shield..... I guess I never noticed that huge mound under my feet the 3 or 4 times I actually drove it.

The dent is shaped like my wheel. It dented the fire wall and actually split the seam where the left floor pan meets the down slope behide the brake.

BTW the part that is crunched up in the pics is suppost to go straight down

Now I have a few question about this:

1) How the fock do I fix this? lol
2) If I buy a new Left floor pan what do I do about the huge dent proturding inward? Do I just get a mallet and knock it back into some what place, then seam it up as best I can? Or after hitting it w/a mallet and weld a new pan into place, get a sm section of sheet metel and weld it in place then seam it?
3) Do I ge a new Firewall? If so where? Pluss that seem like a PIA for sure. Or if I do get a fire wall do I just cut the section out I need the weld it?

Sorry for the rant...but it just seem like a little jopb turns into someting way outta my element.

100_0738.jpg

100_0740.jpg

100_0743.jpg

100_0738.jpg

100_0738.jpg

100_0740.jpg

100_0740.jpg

100_0743.jpg

100_0743.jpg

That's just "nasty" dude!! It's a good thing you found it however! I haven't had to repair floor pans as yet, so hopefully you get some good ideas soon.
Good luck with it.

Hate to be the one to break it to you, but the easiest way to fix this is to remove the old firewall and replace it. Tack in braces to hold everything you want to keep where it is and have at it. Sometimes fixing unibodies properly sucks.

Well today it's "Hammer Time" lol. I'm gonna tray and get it close this way. If it doesn't get close I'll but a firewall.

Jason

Thats what I would do. Wacky it out pretty strait and reseal the seam.
It’s not something that is going to show, like a quarter panel.
Hope you are going check the front end REAL good.
I would be concerned that whatever did that impacted something that does matter .
But you probably thought of this already.
I rescued a car. The owner used to come out of the bar drunk and run over cross ties in the parking lot.
A Bent lower control arm and busted rear spring on that car.

-
Back