Lookee What I Made!

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
It's a Holley carb stand! No, it's not super complex or anything but it cost me only the price of consumables for my welder and the electricty to run it. I had the nuts and bolts laying around and I found the angle iron stuck in the ground in the back yard. It was pretty rusty but after going over it with a angle grinder with a flapper wheel, I found it was sound.

I cut 4 pieces out of it (two 7" pieces and two 6" pieces), Squared them up, tacked and welded it solid. I ran the nuts all the way down on the bolts and ground a taper on them, marked off were they needed to be welded, tacked them in place, then welded again. I then adjusted the nuts so a carb will sit true and square. I plan on cleaning up the welds and shooting it with some engine (fuel resistant) paint today to make it pretty.

I just used a cut-off blade in a angle grinder to cut the angle iron. If someone was to use fresh stock, a chop saw or band saw and some rounded end bolts, this could be done in less than an hour although it might warp if you're not patient welding the underlying "box" frame.

Enjoy and I hope it gives someone some ideas. :read2: This should last 200 years and never break, lol.

IMG_0272.JPG

Nice work Joe! Thats a really good idea my friend.

That's a great stand Joe :cheers: I am glad you got out and did some fabricating work that you enjoy doing, I enjoy looking and reading your site and all the great fab work you have dun to Quadzilla.
I looked for your alternator bracket you made but its not posted in your site!
Keep up the good work Joe =P~

Nice work Joe! Thats a really good idea my friend.

Thanks Dawg!

Yes very nice ramcharger. Wast nothing.

Thanks homcloned! I pulled that angle iron up and that's when the idea hit me. It would've done a number on the lawnmower, lol!

That's a great stand Joe :cheers: I am glad you got out and did some fabricating work that you enjoy doing, I enjoy looking and reading your site and all the great fab work you have dun to Quadzilla.
I looked for your alternator bracket you made but its not posted in your site!
Keep up the good work Joe =P~

Thanks Mike! Pardon my less than absolutely stellar welds. I'm a bit out of practice. :) It's been a long time since I updated that website. Great idea though, I should do it this week. 8)

Here's the final product. :) It's amazing what a bit of grinding and paint/coating can do. If was employed, I would have had Cudachick powdercoat it.

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

looks good now somebody buy it

Lol! I'm sure I could make more of these but I'm pretty sure the angle iron garden is depleted. 8)

If anyone is truly interested, I bet I could get more from a local yard. Let me wait a day on this and see how fuel proof this paint really is..... Prices would be reasonable. 25 bucks plus shipping maybe? :read2: Versions for sale would use rounded end studs for a more professional apearance. :)

Hey, yours works right? :cheers: That's all that really matters. :)
Yup, works pretty good. I buddy of mine made one a few years back and extended the ends. When he'd pull the bowls off it would catch any fuel remaining. I just use a towel. LOL

I was just thinking of one with movable studs that would accomodate AFB, Holley, and Dominator patterns. Wouldn't be a big deal and price would be the same. :)

Yup, works pretty good. I buddy of mine made one a few years back and extended the ends. When he'd pull the bowls off it would catch any fuel remaining. I just use a towel. LOL

Hmmm.... A fuel catching utility..... :read2:

Hmmm.... A fuel catching utility..... :read2:
That's a nice piece! It should hold up to years of abuse. As far as a fuel catching utility, I'm thinking a cookie sheet may be of sufficient capacity as well as a means of keeping the occasional falling screw/spring/clip from rolling into some dark corner.

That's a nice piece! It should hold up to years of abuse. As far as a fuel catching utility, I'm thinking a cookie sheet may be of sufficient capacity as well as a means of keeping the occasional falling screw/spring/clip from rolling into some dark corner.

I was thinking of a mirror on the bottom so secondary opening and/or pump shot could be easily identified. :)

Yes, it should be able to take (my version, lol) a toss across the shop. :) :-D

Nice work Joe! Ought to enlist you to make my jigs!

I think this might be your homemade alternator bracket Memike mentioned earlier?

View attachment 81083

Keep up the great work my friend.
Thank you Leanna! you ar a :angel9:
This man has some great skills :thumbrig:
I hope most of the folks here has checked out is web site on Quadzilla :cheers:
That is one fine ramcharger he has going =P~ and I hope and pray he gets to spend some time with her soon and gets a job soon to keep him busy.

Nice work Joe! Ought to enlist you to make my jigs!

I think this might be your homemade alternator bracket Memike mentioned earlier?

View attachment 81083

Keep up the great work my friend.

Yep! That's it! Thanks CudaChick!

What a great idea, looks really good :-D

Thank you Rob. :-D

Thank you Leanna! you ar a :angel9:
This man has some great skills :thumbrig:
I hope most of the folks here has checked out is web site on Quadzilla :cheers:
That is one fine ramcharger he has going =P~ and I hope and pray he gets to spend some time with her soon and gets a job soon to keep him busy.

Thanks Mike! :cheers:

Now that is a good idea. I just may have to build one. Good job.

Thanks burnt! Makes life a heck of a lot easier. :read2:

Good to see you are keeping your hands busy, Ramcharger Joe! How is it going with the job search?
Pat

Thanks Pat! I've got to do something in the garage once in a while or I'll go crazy.

I got a bunch of "Sorry but you didn't the job letters" last week. No luck at all on the job search.

Thanks Pat! I've got to do something in the garage once once in while or I'll go crazy.

I got a bunch of "Sorry but you didn't the job letters" last week. No luck at all on the job search.

I hope you make a happy day happen for youself today Joe.:cheers:
I know what it is like to wake up to "what the hell am I going to do today.
Wednesdays are easy for me because it is trash day and clean the fridge out morning to go in the trash, Sounds like fun don't it 8) I go back to some of your threads you started for me and listen to music you posted to get me started :-D Music helps me get going and feel better :-D Thank you bud.

-
Back