[WANTED] Looking for a 1976 A-body A38 police certified speedometer

-
Not many Valiants, Dusters or Darts used as Police cars. You might be able to have yours certified. If you have a GPS you can use it to see your speed and compare to speedometer reading to see if your on the money or off. My 74 Duster is about 2 mph high.

Oooh thats a rare one. I'm curious if anyone has one ! There is a rectangular "C" body 140 mph speedo ('68-'70? ) that can be trimmed down to fit. Not an exact swap but 140 mph vs 120 mph on the "A" body one. Somewhere there's a Duster, maybe on FABO if it still exists, with this conversion I did back in the 80's. Best of luck in your search !

The certified only applied to the calibration of the gearing, not the speedo itself, if memory serves.
Is this for a restoration, or for accuracy needs?

I have a 200 'mph' speedo but I don't think it's certified. I know it's actually a metric speedo but it doesn't have units on it, so it's a 200 mph speedo now.

I had one a few years back off a 76 dart 4 door. It wasn't the A38 package, but still certified. I sold it to a member on this site and regret doing so because he was a class A ***.

I have a 200 'mph' speedo but I don't think it's certified. I know it's actually a metric speedo but it doesn't have units on it, so it's a 200 mph speedo now.

Yup, that's the export speedometer. Here's a pic of the NOS one I sold on here some years ago—part numbers up at the top might enable you to find another. All it takes is an appropriate speedo drive pinion and it'll indicate MPH.

Abody_Speedo_200.jpg

I had one a few years back off a 76 dart 4 door. It wasn't the A38 package, but still certified. I sold it to a member on this site and regret doing so because he was a class A ***.

The certainly could've been me, but wasn't.
Yup, that's the export speedometer. Here's a pic of the NOS one I sold on here some years ago—part numbers up at the top might enable you to find another. All it takes is an appropriate speedo drive pinion and it'll indicate MPH.

View attachment 1716296482
That certainly was me. :D

For the OP, any speedo shop should be able to make any modifications as well as add the 'certified' lettering, depending on what your goal for the project is.

A good friend of mine has 76 4dr Valiant, that I believed originally was owned by a lady who rarely drove it and in incredibly fantastic condition. They are in the process of making it a A38 Clone or Tribute, as that is what they have always wanted and have had no luck actually finding a real one for sale. So they are making one. One of the components they would like to find is the Speedo that says "CERTIFIED". They are attempting to actually locate a real one before settling for having to make one. So I told him I would see if I could help track one down. Thanks

I used to have a couple of those, but, I can't remember what happened to them. I kept the torsion bars and rear sway bars, but, the speedos somehow disappeared....

I used to have a couple of those, but, I can't remember what happened to them. I kept the torsion bars and rear sway bars, but, the speedos somehow disappeared....
OK, Well if you do happen to find one of them, please let me. I would appreciate it. Thanks and have a great day. :)

-
Back