Looking for a 67' Barracuda Fan Shroud

-

MoparJTH

Reaction score
Hello, I've been looking through past posts looking for an answer to this question and haven't been able to find a clear answer. I have a 67 Barracuda with a mild 318 in it. It has a factory 67' Formula S 22in radiator but no shroud. The car has no problems coling except for when it's idling in traffic... then it gets hot, it will easily pass 220dg and peg the gauge. The only time it overheated so far was when I shut the car off while it was hot, then it started steaming. I have been looking for a fan shroud for this car but every site lists it as 68-up, no 67's. Will one for a 68-69 fit, I don't care about it being the right part number.

Here are the specs on the car:
318 4 Speed
Recently boiled and rotted stock radiator
Manual autometer temp. gauge
7 Blade fan with no clutch

I'm also thinking about sending the radiator in to have it recored with 3 or 4 cores. Thanks a lot and I appreciate any feedback.

Try Layson's- I think they are having the shrouds re-popped. Once you get a shroud, measure the opening and then find a Mopar clutched fan in a boneyard that will fit (make sure there is a gap between the two or else the first time the motor torques over-POW!). You just want the fan, not the clutch. Buy a new clutch for your application, put it all together and you'll be good to go. Except for finding a shroud in the yard, that is how I made a clutch fan for my Valiant. Oh, yes the '68 version of the shroud will work. Numbers-matching and "Correct" appearing is great for a museum piece, but sucks if you actually drive and use the car

Hello, I've been looking through past posts looking for an answer to this question and haven't been able to find a clear answer. I have a 67 Barracuda with a mild 318 in it. It has a factory 67' Formula S 22in radiator but no shroud. The car has no problems coling except for when it's idling in traffic... then it gets hot, it will easily pass 220dg and peg the gauge. The only time it overheated so far was when I shut the car off while it was hot, then it started steaming. I have been looking for a fan shroud for this car but every site lists it as 68-up, no 67's. Will one for a 68-69 fit, I don't care about it being the right part number.

318 4 Speed

I'm also thinking about sending the radiator in to have it recored with 3 or 4 cores. Thanks a lot and I appreciate any feedback.

If your rad is rotted, then obviously fix that first.

Clutch fan is another good idea, and do that next.

If you can't find the proper shrould, you can always make your own.

I tried to make a bunch of them work and they just didn't. I was told they would fit, then they would not.

I used a heavy guage sheet metal. Make the hoop 1" larger in dia. than the fan dia., and about 3" wide. Then, welded brackets to the hoop, with elongated mounting holes, so the hoop ends up about 1/4" away from rad.

Mine covers about 90% of the rad. Temp does not spike any more than 10* during hot traffic idle.

You will need to make up a template, and take lots of measurements, then just paint it black.

I really wanted the factory look. There have been some complaints about the quality of some after market pieces, but not sure about that.

This was a fun project. It works and looks good.

Jim

Thanks for the replies... I ended up having the radiator shop build a 4 core radiator out of a 70 dart and had them move the lower outlet to the correct side. The radiator also had the shroud with it, so now the car cools like crazy. It stays cool no matter how hard you drive it or how long you idle it. We drove it to Van Nuys for the spring fling show and hit some bumper to bumper traffic for a while and no problems whatsoever. Thanks again.

Justin

318 4 Speed

Well I hate it but I did it. I got off early today because of rain and rode up to Griffin. I took my old radiator with me to make sure to get everything squared away (didn't need it). The sales guy Benji Durham is the one that helped me. He said that as soon as they get one of those built for a Mopar that it gets gone before they stock it in the warehouse. They was building one for a Mopar as I was there but it was already spoken for so he couldn't sell me that one... even though he walked into the back just to check and see if he could sneak and sell it to me. But we walked over to his desk and he took down all my info. He said that it will look close to the original type radiator and I could paint it black if I wanted. It will be a 2 core with 1" tubing (400-600 hp) down flow (not cross flow) for $495 + tax OUCH!. I asked if cross flow is better than down flow and he said it doesn't matter one bit. That the only thing changing is the direction of the flow. I always thought the cross flow are better for some reason. I read Griffin FAQ section and it says the same thing. They have also 2 core with 1.25 tubing for I believe it was $595 which is 600+ HP. They are going to have to build it so I asked if they could locate the top tank inlet closer to the middle and he said no problem. He said it will not be directly centered but it will be closer than it was. Oh he asked me what was the car doing and I told him that on the HWY it would get to 210* He told me that if it was getting hot on the HWY that my radiator is too small and if it was getting hot in stop and go traffic that it there is not enough air movement. So in theory I was having both but that's going to change. ok shroud... he told me that 98% (even big blocks) mopars did not have a shroud unless it was AC equipped. So I don't believe our cars suppose to have a shroud but I'm going to try to find one. He told me to try Bouchillon performance (something like that) or bring in a shroud and they will tack on mounting brackets to fit the shroud to the rad. They will make them a little on the wide side so I can center the shroud to the fan after I mount the rad. He didn't say that but I am going to tell him to do that to give me a little room to move the shroud up and down. He said he will call me to pick it up in about a week or so. I hate spending that kind of money but I can't drive my car without it is the way I'm looking at it. Now I've got to find a shroud.

Here is the website http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/FanShrouds.asp

I'm thinking of getting the 22" fan shrould and let Griffin weld some tabs on to make it fit. I just found this a few minutes ago so I'm still brain picking what I really want to do.

http://www.griffinrad.com/

This might help others in the furture.

-
Back