[WANTED] Looking for a '71 to '73 Duster.

-

timk225

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I'm looking for a 1971 or 1972 or 1973 Plymouth Duster. I had one way back in the mid 90s in my ultra broke college student days, and it got me by nicely for a couple years. A variety of '71-'72 Valiants and a 72 Satellite followed.

I don't care about VIN codes or numbers matching anything, auto or manual, /6 or V8, etc. All I really need is a good solid unibody, I can rebuild the rest pretty easily.

I know, a rust free 50+ year old car is asking a lot. I can do some rust repair, but the less the better.

Back in the old days, I did all my own work. I built carburetors, engines, automatic transmissions, limited slips, I even figured out how to do my own alignments and I could get it pretty close. I just never did much paint and body, or any exhaust pipe bending.

So let me know what you have, be ready to send MANY photos of all the details.

I know, a 1970 or 1974 Duster is pretty much the same thing, and I guess I could take one if that's all that's available, but I'd prefer a '71-'73.

Depends. I've seen many Dusters online, all rebuilt and looking good in the 15000-50000 range. Those aren't the cars for me. I've seen a few here and there in the 4000-7000 range that could be potential candidates and within my financial restrictions. It's more a matter of get the car now and do the actual repairs later.

I have a nice 72 340 4 spd. 8 3/4 body at my shop in Huron Oh. I do not have original motor or trans but do have fender tag. I do have 340-360 motors & 4 spd. trans . I would say the body is overall very nice & rust free , have new tail light panel as every one in 72 rusted. I know because my original one was only in one winter and I had to replace that one too ! Let me know if you want to take a ride and look, I have a cousin down your way as I was born in McKees Rocks and grew up in Moon Run. Take care, Frank

I got a factory petty blue 72 Duster body h-code and the tail panel never did rust out on mine I got the title to it also but it's going to take a lot of fixing up because I have raped this car

20240602_194155.jpg

20240530_181825.jpg

20240423_185559.jpg

20240316_122852.jpg

20240228_120616.jpg

Man that is a nice original tail panel ! They say the foam rubber that seals the largest tail/brake light to the panel is what collected the water and didn't dry out. When do you figure that car got taken off the road ? Do you know Steve Ivester up in N.C. ? Mopar guy

Yes I know Steve and this could have come from Steve it's been in the weather all its life it was an insurance salesman's car that drove it up till 1997 from Gaffney SC

I do know what you mean about the 72 tail foam deteriorating way quicker than the other ones and I guess it was because of the wide openings from the tail lights and the thinner strips of foam there double that thickness for the 70/71 tail lights when that foam went I guess the water come through..I have a 72 with a bad tail panel too

20240404_190917.jpg

20240404_190921.jpg

I like the old Dodge pickup , I have an 84 D350 4 dr. from the N.C. Forestry Service that I tow the race car with. It barely fits in my 24' deep garage, can't walk around it. Love the "A" bodies all over the place.

I have a 1973 duster , factory red slant 6 auto on column, sunroof car for sale, bench seat fold down rear seat, white half vinyl top. Not running, will need full restoration, including front floor pan, lower rockers, lower 1\4 all need replaced. Clean open title, in central Arkansas. 4k or pm me

Seeing cars for sale reminds me of the good old days of the mid 90s to early 2000s, when I was too broke to pay attention, but you could get any A body, even in great condition, for $1000 or less in my area. However, being as broke as I was back then, $1000 then would be like $20,000 today in terms of affordability. But I guess when you're looking for a 50 year old car, you can't be too picky.

Whatever car I get, anything that bolts on is a much easier repair for me than quarter or rocker panel rust. Trunks and floors aren't as critical because they aren't as obvious. I'm looking at one car now and continuing my search, but the guy is holding out for top dollar and with mopar carlisle coming up soon, he thinks the car is a gold mine. I looked at a 72 Dart 2 door which was rock solid and has potential, but I want a Duster much more than a Dart.

I know this is a long shot for u being that it’s in Canada. Been off the road a few years. 1975 duster, buckets and consol. 8.25 with 3.55 sure grip. New floor pans, inner and outer rockers. Both rear quarters. The driver side still needs to be installed. Trunk floor and drop downs. The shop teacher at the school was restoring it. Idk if there is a motor and tranny with it. He retired and is moving. Selling pretty cheap. I haven’t seen it yet but I’ll look at it next week. Kim

-
Back