Looking for a specific 340 Dart in St. Louis

-

Lookingfor340

Reaction score
Greetings. I am on a mission. I am looking for the specific car my father bought new in 1970 along with any comments on the rarity of the color/option combination. Here is what I know. He ordered the car from a Dodge dealer in Manchester MO (currently Southtown Dodge), took delivery in March 1970. The car was gold with a green interior, unsure the exact color codes, if anyone knows from the pics I would be interested in hearing. Had the deluxe interior, bench seat, A/C, radio, and tinted windows. 3.55 gears and suregrip. Was 340 with 3 speed. Stripe delete. He sold the car in about 1976 with 50,000 miles on the car. Was completely original, he made no modifications to it. Sold it to a guy in the Fenton area (I think). A guy that worked at Auto Terminals/Chrysler in St, Louis sort of kept track of the car through the 70's and early 80's, so I know it was in the St. Louis area. I saw the car in the late 80's in House Springs MO. I have not seen it since. I would be interested in finding out the fate of the car and talking with the currrent owner if I can find him/her. You can see from the pics it was not the prettiest Dart around but it sure was a sleeper. It was primarily my Mom's car, you can see my car seat in the back view photo. She was not terribly interested in the performance, but she will tell the story of the time she left a Z-28 that would not quit driving along side of her in her rearview mirror. :lol:

Anyway, if anyone has any info, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, great site by the way!

Jeff

1970 340 Dodge Dart side.jpg

1970 340 Dodge Dart front.jpg

1970 340 Dodge Dart back.jpg

first off welcome aboard. second do you have the cars vin number? if you do thenhave you tried going to the mo. state dmv? call them and ask if they show a record of the car being still licensed for the state. if it is still there you may be able to get more info on it. if it left the state ask the dmv person what state it went to. sometimes they will tell you alot of info and sometimes they won't. it is worth trying anyway.

Wow, I like.

Because of privacy laws it can be difficult to find out were or what happened to it, but it is not impossible. These laws vary state by state.

First take the VIN or plate number down to the DMV or Licensing Dept or whomever handles the licensing in your state. I your states law makes it illegal for them to tell you who owns it now, just tell them before you even try to pursue and find it legally just asked them if the car is currently in the system and licensed. This way you will know it is still in your state and still alive and they won't be breaking a law by giving out private information.

If it is illegal for someone to give out the address and present owner the next step would require a relative or friend in law enforcement to give you the info. But if this happens they could loose their job so if someone does this for you can't tell anyone and especially the present owner how you found out.

Chuck

7Demon2, thanks for the cleanup!!

I don't have the VIN unfortunatley, I know that would greatly improve my chances. The plates are from 1975, so I presume those numbers would not be helpful.

I am hoping someone recognizes it, and being what I think is such a unique color combo that may be possible. Surely there could not have been many this color with a stripe delete.

The top looks black but it is green and black I believe. The raised portion I think was black and the recessed was green or vice versa. The interior was green vinyl with a black rubber floor mat, no carpet. The exterior is some shade of gold.

Thanks again,

Jeff

dig around for some old registrations, maybe the old insurance card. the dealer should have the maintance records. surely you have only scratched the surface. there is bound to be some old paperwork floating around for it. the insurance company could provide the answers if you can remember who it was insured through at the time. check there first.

top surely wasn't 2 colors. it has to be green or black. the original sales brochure for 1970 lists black, white, or green as top colors.

7demon2 said:
top surely wasn't 2 colors. it has to be green or black. the original sales brochure for 1970 lists black, white, or green as top colors.

lol I thought my Swinger had a black top until I took some Armor All after it and realized it was green...

I just want to apploud You gus here at fabo. :blob:
It is a hard task to find a car, That many year's back.
One thing is for sure, Is that,If this car was not malested buy a furd or chebby man and painted for the street rod and drag seen,This color can be noticted easily.
And I have noticted alot of people selling now.Sooo.
There is a good chance of finding it for sale

excuse me, Wecome to this great site.

memike Arkansas :drinkers:

good luck, Im still trying to track down an old car of mine in Hawaii, I have the VIN number if anyone is able to help out please contact me off the board.

thanks

I just wish that you found it. It might take some time but it's worth it. And welcome onboard

Thanks all for the help and well wishes. My father and I have exhausted all of our possibilities at finding a VIN number within our records; no remaining insurance cards, etc. I called my state farm agent and he said all their records older than 1980 are on microfiche. He has placed a call into a guy at the main office that has been with state farm for 40+ years and will ask him for suggestions. He said that since the privacy policy changes with 9/11 the DMV is unlikely to provide any assistance even with a number.

I'll check out that find-lost car site, thanks 65s!!

Have any of you ever seen a '70 340 this color? How unusual is the stripe delete?

I am hoping a St. Louis area member of this site sees the pictures and recognizes it. :thumbup:

Again thanks for the assistance. I don't drive a Mopar now, I have a 1993 Mustang GT that I am pretty happy with, but it is never too late to upgrade :toothy7:

since the privacy policy changes with 9/11 the DMV is unlikely to provide any assistance even with a number.

this is true but you will be suprized sometimes you will get the right person and they will tell you alot. with the vin the dmv will tell you if the car is still registered in the state for sure. stick with the insurance company. it sounds like they will come through for you with the information.......goood luck!

The VIN is not a privacy issue if it was you couldn't walk up to any car and read it on the dash. So don't let the state or anyone for that matter bully you that they can't give you the VIN number.

Chuck

Agreed, it is not the VIN number that is the secret, but if I had the VIN (which I don't), the DMV would not tell me who the car is currently licensed to. :sad:

Lookingfor340 said:
7Demon2, thanks for the cleanup!!

I don't have the VIN unfortunatley, I know that would greatly improve my chances. The plates are from 1975, so I presume those numbers would not be helpful.

I am hoping someone recognizes it, and being what I think is such a unique color combo that may be possible. Surely there could not have been many this color with a stripe delete.

The top looks black but it is green and black I believe. The raised portion I think was black and the recessed was green or vice versa. The interior was green vinyl with a black rubber floor mat, no carpet. The exterior is some shade of gold.

Thanks again,

Jeff
Hate to make it harder, but green/gold was a very common color back them, but then again, people wore bell bottoms and afros.

-
Back