Looking for a way to combine my job with my love of cars, any ideas?

-
That bears repeating. I have met a lot of body-and-paint workers over the years. Some of them have been outstandingly gifted, talented, and skillful. Some of them have been decent. Some of them have been average, and some should've probably picked a different line of work. But all of them have been at least 1/4° out of plumb* in one way or another. Even if the appropriate personal protective gear is always used correctly (that's a very big if), the chemicals are extremely nasty and they will seep into your body. The solvents involved are just as good at dissolving oil-based matter (fat) in your brain and nerves as they are at dissolving oil-based matter (grease or paint) on the shop floor.

*present company excepted, of course!
icon_biggrin.gif

There is no way to protect yourself 100% and dont think the dumb shyt I did as a kid doesn't worry me. Ticking time bomb.read some MSDS on the stuff, central nervous system damage, liver, kidneys, lungs, any mucous membranes including your eyeballs can absorb isocyanates even while mixing.

the old country saying : " find a job you LOVE, and you never WORK a day in your life" !

sounds so easy but it is SO hard.

can be really hard to get PAID to do a job others do as their FUN!

sometimes, many times, to have that dream job, you will substitute " enjoying daily life" for $$$$$$$$$.

ya can't put a price on happiness, self esteem, and NO ulcers!!!!! IMHO

There is no way to protect yourself 100% and dont think the dumb shyt I did as a kid doesn't worry me. Ticking time bomb.read some MSDS on the stuff, central nervous system damage, liver, kidneys, lungs, any mucous membranes including your eyeballs can absorb isocyanates even while mixing.

Yup. In messing with cars I faffed around with severely nasty chemicals when I was a kid. Dip-type carburetor cleaner was probably the worst (and it's very, very bad). Probably one reason why my sinuses never work well even at their best, which they usually aren't.

My advice: be very careful what you wish for, because you just might get it. I figured out how to merge my love of cars with my skill and training as a writer to wind up with a career that keeps food in the fridge and a roof overhead. It seemed ideal for awhile, but in the long run it has cost me virtually all of my love of cars.
I agree one hundred present with you Dan. After 20 years in car dealers ,it almost killed my love of cars.Thank god I got out of it!

-
Back