Looking for guidance for a LA 408 drop in Crate for a 4 speed set up

-

stingerdart1972

Reaction score
Looking for help to steer me in the right direction toward a LA 408 stroker motor, for my 72 swinger with a 833 close ratio 4 speed setup.....

Looking for a LA 408 Stroker crate motor built for a 4 speed that will put a huge satisfying smile on my face. From a FABO recommended builder that Ships to 02660 in Massachusetts.

I don't believe the 2 local machine shops in my area have the MOPAR build experience after under the radar chatting with both shops " more ford and chevy" .... besides that the pickings for a good core 360 motor is slim to none...

What's in the Car now...i have a peppy but tired LA 318 with MSD rev box, MSD electronic Distributor and Coil, LA Eddy 6077 aluminum heads, LA Eddy Air gap manifold, Thumper Cam, Roller Rockers, Comp Cam push rods, Proform 650 Carb and Dougs Ceramic Headers.

SIDE NOTE: after the said fact the guy that put the parts on my motor informed me a couple of months later that the spring heights on the Eddy heads were all off.. so somewhere down the road a machine shop will need to address this if and when I reuse these.

Centerforce flywheel, street/strip pressure plate and disc.

A-833 close ratio 4 speed
489 sure grip with 3.55 gear
And pitiful 14 inch stock small bolt rally wheels ... I need a 15 wheel I realize this...

All my reading and looking around the $6000 ish Motor builds have number range:
400+ HP
450+ TQ

is there a long block LA 408 stroker motor available " I can re use the MSD electronic Ignition and distributor and Air Gap intake manifold and get a bigger recommended Carburetor"

or is there a drop in LA 408 stroker crate motor/with Aluminum heads, 10to1 that runs on pump gas, built with the best Cam/lifter/rocker combo set up for a 4-speed with 3.55 gear...

Must be a ground pounder with nasty idle that turns heads..

It's not a daily driver so MPG is not important as it's driven on weekends to the local car shows and to the coffee shop... neck snapping shoved in the seat and tire burning and evil laugh is a must !!!

Thanks Kevin

IMG_1262.PNG

[FOR SALE] - MRL 318 Mini Stroker 356hp

As words of advice, please take a look at the stroker MRL is selling. You are close enough to take advantage of this deal and it will check the boxes you need. Torque is what is going to spin the tires, you don't need a nasty idle with modern camshafts, and you will have some money to do other improvements.

If it wasn't across the country I would easily get this motor over 383 I plan on dropping in. MRL is the only company I would purchase a drop in engine from, otherwise I do my own final assembly.

With the left over funds you can:
* Upgrade the suspension with a PST kit
* Upgrade the brakes
* Fi-Tech EFI (Just did this on a buddies Dart, he has driven the car more in 3 months than 4 years)
* Aluminum Radiator! Recommend this on every car now
* Denso Alternator from Mancini (Same dart as above, fixed a lot of electrical problems)

BTW, the said Dart has a 380hp Magnum 360 crate engine, I bet he doesn't use 350hp of it, he likes all the torque down low.

Just a thought, have you considered a 318 stroker? 390 cubes, and you already have the block.

As words of advice, please take a look at the stroker MRL is selling. You are close enough to take advantage of this deal and it will check the boxes you need. Torque is what is going to spin the tires, you don't need a nasty idle with modern camshafts, and you will have some money to do other improvements.

If it wasn't across the country I would easily get this motor over 383 I plan on dropping in. MRL is the only company I would purchase a drop in engine from, otherwise I do my own final assembly.

* Upgrade the brakes
* Fi-Tech EFI (Just did this on a buddies Dart, he has driven the car more in 3 months than 4 years)
* Denso Alternator from Mancini (Same dart as above, fixed a lot of electrical problems)

BTW, the said Dart has a 380hp Magnum 360 crate engine, I bet he doesn't use 350hp of it, he likes all the torque down low.
Looking for a LA Motor, the headers I have will not fit

Just a thought, have you considered a 318 stroker? 390 cubes, and you already have the block.

I believe my block is already .040 over bore and 3 of the cylinders had a huge ridge on them.

I did see that Hughes performance makes a stroker kit for a 318 $2000 ish

Honestly I don't believe the machine shop around here could do it with out detailed instructions on the little extras needed to do this 318/390 build.
As I read there was lots of special matching and machineing done to prep the block

Kevin,

Did you reach out to Mike at MRL about the engine? If you want a drop in engine this is your best bet, honestly they don't come around that often for that cheap/power/reliability.

I live in Oregon, so the shipping wasn't great. I currently have a 318 LA as well, this engine will drop right in and you can enjoy your car all summer long!

Take the $2000 savings (easily spend $6500+ on a 408 stroker setup with local shops) and put it into the chassis. Everyone who works with me gets mad at first as I pull their horsepower goals back, but they love the brakes and suspension after we are all done. Over 300hp for a stock suspension mopar (30+ years old now) is a waste (not to mention those tires).

Kevin,

Did you reach out to Mike at MRL about the engine? If you want a drop in engine this is your best bet, honestly they don't come around that often for that cheap/power/reliability.

I live in Oregon, so the shipping wasn't great. I currently have a 318 LA as well, this engine will drop right in and you can enjoy your car all summer long!

Take the $2000 savings (easily spend $6500+ on a 408 stroker setup with local shops) and put it into the chassis. Everyone who works with me gets mad at first as I pull their horsepower goals back, but they love the brakes and suspension after we are all done. Over 300hp for a stock suspension mopar (30+ years old now) is a waste (not to mention those tires).

YES I have...
waiting for a response

* Upgrade the brakes

I've decided to go with your advice and purchase this motor from Mike at MRL

I'll be researching the correct external balance 360 flywheel,
And going with new 15x7 mopar rally wheels to get a little more from the A-833 close ratio 4-speed and 3:55 gear sure grip.

I'll make sure to keep everyone posted when things start to come together upon install

Great Choice! I would recommend a Denso Alternator and possibly an aluminum Radiator upgrade at the same time as installing the new engine. I have learned the un-sexy items that really make the car run great over giving up 40 hp.

Don't forget you will be able to sell that nice Air Gap and QFT carb you have for some money back in your pocket, unfortunately, the 318 itself won't receive much value.

Well I'm going to be the owner of the 318 Mini Stroker !!!
Good for you man
Just a heads up, I've had a lot of issues with stuff breaking after installing my MRL motor...the transmission, the rearend, and any speed limit I've come across

-
Back