Looking for my dads 71 340 Plymouth Duster

-

pdstr408

Reaction score
I am wanting to locate my dads old Plymouth duster. It was a 71 340 3 speed car painted plum crazy purple with black interior. My dad remembers it having black and white checkered inlays on the front bench seat. He purchased the car in New Mexico probably in 1971 or 1972 and sold it in or near Rapid City, SD while stationed at Ellsworth Air Force Base some time between 1972-1975. He remembers selling it to a guy that was stationed at the AFB and thinks he was from Minnesota. He broke the 340 at some point and installed a 440 with an automatic and had sold it that way. I am not sure if the car is still around or if any body knows or has seen it but if you have or think you have can you message me here please.

dont give up hope if u dont find it right away,,,,i searched under every rock and crevice and 26 years after my parents sold thier 68 gts, i found in an overgrown forest on the side of a mountain, verified the vin from an old registration,,and bingo,,,,it took many years of cold calls, knocking on doors and scouring the interweb for names,addresses and phone numbers,,,but it can pay off

Last edited:
Yes don't quit. I just found and bought back my 69 road runner after selling it in 1995 and losing touch with and the contact info of the guy I sold it to. After physically searching neighborhoods and banging doors of where I thought he lived it didn't look good for me. How I found it, I remembered the vin and begged the guy at registries to give me his contact info, he slid a piece paper across the counter to me with his name. Did some digging and a phone call later, two years of getting re-acquainted with and here I am reunited with my runner which should never have left my hands. It is special to me as my uncle used to own it when new.

Mopars in the Park is coming up in June in Minnesota, I'll keep an eye out. Do you happen to have a VIN?

There was a plum crazy Duster on Craigslist in northern Minnesota Last Summer but I do not remember what year or if it had a 440 or if it was a true plum crazy car. Maybe someone else from Minnesota might chime in.

sounds like it might be one that is too far gone to fix now.

residing in Colorado Springs, Co ....(near the Air force base) someone painted it green but you see purple under the paint chips. Someone tried back halfing it and never finished and cut the inner fender wells out to add a custom tubular frame.

Basically an unfinished project turned into a scrap mess. I got the back seat out of it, black and white plaid seat and some other parts.

Last I heard the title was lost and the car is beyond any kind of reasonable repair. May have been scrapped by now. Not saying it is but sounds like it could be.

sounds like it might be one that is too far gone to fix now.

residing in Colorado Springs, Co ....(near the Air force base) someone painted it green but you see purple under the paint chips. Someone tried back halfing it and never finished and cut the inner fender wells out to add a custom tubular frame.

Basically an unfinished project turned into a scrap mess. I got the back seat out of it, black and white plaid seat and some other parts.

Last I heard the title was lost and the car is beyond any kind of reasonable repair. May have been scrapped by now. Not saying it is but sounds like it could be.

Was this car advertised online?

no, its one I knew about because the owner was in a local club. At the time I saw it late 2015ish he was parting it out along with a scamp and another mopar car. I have not been up there in awhile but I have the seats and some other parts and when you described above, it brought that car to memory.

Last edited:
-
Back