Looking for New Torqueflight advice

-

mflynn

Reaction score
I have a cracked case in my original 904 transmission. So I am looking for a new one. Hoping to get some input on 3 questions: (1) what do you think of TCI street Rodder trans? , (2) what torque converter should I mate it with? (3) any better options out there than TCI without totally breaking the bank?

I am running a 318 with a Holley Street Avenger 570 cfm carb, dual exhaust and a Comp Cams 262 XE, 7 1/4 rear end. I drive the car a lot in nice weather (almost a daily driver in the summer) so I want it to be easy to drive but I do want to hop it up a bit (just don’t want to leave rubber at every light) so I am thinking about a 2000 rpm stall speed torque converter but am concerned that might be too much.

Looking forward to any helpful suggestions!

Don’t buy the TCI tranny. Find someone in ur area that builds torque flights. Or Call John Cope Racing. He is a member here: John @crt. A 2000 stall is factory. John will recommend a good converter for u. Kim

TCI blows. Cope Racing Transmissions is a vendor here. He will offer a forum discount.

It wouldn't take anything special to build a stock trans to hold up to what you have there. They're super easy to do. Converter selection can get expensive only if you have to rely on the advice of a guru who takes into consideration your gearing, weight and horsepower; etc. There are new converters on ebay with a lightly increased stall for $185 free shipping.

The stall speed for a 1976 318 904 tranny is 2100 - 2400 RPM. This is for the 10 3/4" convertor [the small one].

An A999 would be a slightly stronger trans., probably has a lower first gear, and a lock up convertor. There are $100 kits out there which allow you to use the lock-up feature.

The 7 1/4" rear end won't take too much abuse. 8 1/4" is a better choice.

I have a cracked case in my original 904 transmission. So I am looking for a new one. Hoping to get some input on 3 questions: (1) what do you think of TCI street Rodder trans? , (2) what torque converter should I mate it with? (3) any better options out there than TCI without totally breaking the bank?

I am running a 318 with a Holley Street Avenger 570 cfm carb, dual exhaust and a Comp Cams 262 XE, 7 1/4 rear end. I drive the car a lot in nice weather (almost a daily driver in the summer) so I want it to be easy to drive but I do want to hop it up a bit (just don’t want to leave rubber at every light) so I am thinking about a 2000 rpm stall speed torque converter but am concerned that might be too much.

Looking forward to any helpful suggestions!

TCI`s are for chevys .

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Based on the advice, I got in touch with John Cope and he is building me a new transmission. He (and his wife) are awesome! Very responsive, friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. I’ll post an update once I’ve got the tranny in and running.

-
Back