Looking for possible carb recommendations...

-

ToastToAlmost

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just found out that the Thermoquad I was gonna put on my cuda isn't any good. I'm looking to get a new carb but I don't know what I should get.

Can anyone give me some idea as to what would be the best type and what size 4bbl carb for a street driven 68 barracuda with a stock 1977 440, 727 trans, and 8-1/4 rear end (Unsure of the gear ratio). Obviously fuel economy is always a plus, but I would really like something that performs good as well.

Get the Thermo rebuilt !!! You don't have to change anything and 800 cfm is nothing to sneeze at.
The small primaries are great for cruising and good gas mileage and when the secondaries open up, they will try to suck your hood in.

That`s a good idea yellowdartdave. I agree, the Thermoquad spreadbore carb would be excellent if you want to prowl the street. Then when you need a little something extra those huge secondaries will get you there. If you don`t have the original carb, a simple carb that`s pretty much plug in and play is the Edelbrock Thunder series AVS style carb, available in 750 and 800 cfm sizes.

IMO, I'd look for the big primary T-Q.

Anyway, a stock 77 - 440 isn't exactly a power house and the year is a bogged down engine. Dead on ratio and emmissions, etc... I have a 78 - 400, it's another dead on arrival engine.

Gear ratio has some say in this, but a 8-1/4????

OK, your not goona like this one but.

650 - 700 max.

Anyway, a stock 77 - 440 isn't exactly a power house and the year is a bogged down engine. Dead on ratio and emmissions, etc... I have a 78 - 400, it's another dead on arrival engine.

650 - 700 max.

Yeah, I know the engine as it is now is no power house, so I wasn't expecting much... Why so small though? Aren't the stock Thermoquads on the 440 850cfm?

Get the Thermo rebuilt !!! You don't have to change anything and 800 cfm is nothing to sneeze at.
The small primaries are great for cruising and good gas mileage and when the secondaries open up, they will try to suck your hood in.

The Thermoquad was just rebuilt. I wasn't the one that did it and know next to nothing about carbs, so I don't know if it was done right or not. All I know is that when I tried to fire the car up for the first time it started pouring gasoline out of where the straw is pointed. It sucks too, I really wanted a Thermoquad on it, but I need to get this car started asap, so it looks like I'll be picking up an eddy tomorrow.

002.jpg

eddy all the way ..back the screws out 1.5 and fire it tune it with a vacuum gauge highest vac at idle....You may need a special throttle bracket hook up..Just ask the tech on the phone they should have them in stock....What about air cleaner will the one you have work????

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblefish360

650 - 700 max.

Yeah, I know the engine as it is now is no power house, so I wasn't expecting much... Why so small though? Aren't the stock Thermoquads on the 440 850cfm?

The earlier 440's, like a 67 Imperial, came with small Carter AFB's (FYI, 600's) that also should be noted, were devoid of secondary velocity plates. These monster cars were Hwy. cruisers and did real well.
(So my suggestion was genours by 50 - 100 cfm's.)

You asked about a replacement carb and not knowing the gear ratio, just that it is a low powered 400 from the smog error, will cause me to suggest a lower CFM carb in error of a better running engine/car rather than a blind answer of "Hey dude, get a 750/850 and slap that Beouch on there and letter rip!" Answer.

Though I did kind of figure in it's a car without emmissions and probably a performance item or two, the extra cfm may be handy even on a lowly power B engine.

I have a 750 on my '78 / 400 and I'm not to amused with it. The change is coming. ('79 Magnum, '78/400-727-3.55 on26 inch tires. The longer it runs, the better it goes, but it take a long time to get to the point where I like it.)

The reason a T-Q with it's large 850 cfm rating works so well is the combo of small primaries and a spring loaded secondary door that be an easy tune to only allow it to open when the engine can use it and over come the spring tension. Secondary size is 2-1/4 X 2. That's where the main extra CFM comes in and, of course, that classic MoPar sound. (ROAR!)
I currently have a 71 / 440 T-Q on my 318 and tuned in. No burning eyes, no foul smell of unburnt gas. Just stomp on it and it goes.

i would rather have a quadrajet than an eddy afb any time...

When my 440 was still in the donor 78 New Yorker I drove it everyday for 2 years with and edelbrock 600 and CH4B intake.

Go to summits CFM calculator. 5500 rpm, 440cubes = 595cfm street, 770 racing. The 600 has smaller primaries and give good response and little bog.

You could take a look at the new street demon 600. It has received some pretty good reviews and is sort of like a modern day TQ.

Thermoquads are great carburetors. They require some learning though to tune properly. When I say that, I mean up to and including removing the top of the carburetor to make changes. Some people get skeered. There's really nothing to them, but they have a lot of adjustments. Once you figure out what they all do and how they all work in conjunction, it becomes a lot easier. The problem is that not all engines will make Thermoquads act the same, so it's something that has to be learned and not taught. Anyone that knows them can show you all of the adjustments, but each engine will require something different. Moreso than a Holley or Eddy or other type Carter.

My bet is on the thermoquad rebuild someone forgot a well seal o-ring, they are easy to overlook. Mine was leaking bad and I replaced a bad o-ring, now it runs like a champ.

Ninja edit-- x2 on everything RustyRatRod said

3 1/2 year old thread......lol.

I probably would have stuck with the "T-quad" on the stock manifold though...:D.

3 1/2 year old thread......lol.

I probably would have stuck with the "T-quad" on the stock manifold though...:D.

Just shows how much we love talkin about the hobby.

Lol, I didn't look at the dates, not the first time, and probably not the last. :)

-
Back