Looking for some repair Ideas - 727 in Big Block Dart (383)

-

guzzimike

Reaction score
HELP - Transmission problem.

I'm looking to maybe repair this issue at home in the driveway, if it's possibly a quick fix. I have NO Experience repairing Transmissions.

If I cannot fix it at home, and mostly because I don't have the facilities to pull the transmission out, it's going back to the transmission shop where it was overhauled about a year ago..(New bands, new clutches, new planetaries ) The transmission shop is a well known, long time, highly reputable place with tons of experience building MOPAR competition transmissions.

But Ideally, I'd like tio reopair it at home , if possible, if for no other reason than to learn how to do it... < As long as it;'s not a full tranny rebuild. Again, my facilities are NIL... >
So..OK - here's the setup...

The car is a Daily Driver. 1968 Dart with a 383/ 727/ 3.91 SG.

Transmission originally in a '68 Imperial. Clutches, when replaced a year ago, were found to be OEM asbestos types, IOW, the transmission had not been opened since Nixon was President. I bought it from a MOPAR Junkyard, cleaned it, replaced oil and filter and ran it "as is" coupled to a TCS 2800 RPM Stall Torque Converter from 2005 till last year. All this time with zero issues until the transmission started to slip, hence the rebuild..

So, the Dart has been running just fine since 2005. We drive it around town regularly ( 2-3 X per week)

Never raced at the track, and only a few "Street contests"...< Wink - Wink.. :D >

Not thing major, though...IOW, the trans doesn't get Beat up. Manual shifting is rare...Mostly it was Stomp at the light and go WOT..

Lately the Dart has been a bit of a cold blooded beast...(Holley 750 with electric choke, MSD 6Al, MSD pro Billet Distributor, Blaster II coil, MSD 8.5mm plug wires ), but once warmed up (say after a Mile or so) it runs, idles and shifts just fine great. It is truly a joy to drive.

Anyhow, on to the latest dilemma..

My son drove the Dart to his work a few weeks ago. On his way home fom work, he noticed that it started and ran a bit more cold-blooded than usual.

Somewhere about 1/2 mile from his workplace, he came up to a light and the car almost stalled...He Shifted it to NEUTRAL to save it; and then went ahead with the Green...so far, par for the course..

Then, as he approached the Next Traffic light, which was about 1/4 Mile away from that last one, my son saw that it was going to be turning YELLOW, so he Punched it to make through the Light...

At this point, he says that he heard a hard SNAP..! and lost all power to the wheels..The Engine just revved up and he let off the throttle as the car coasted to the side of the road.

Once there found that he could get No Froward or Rear motion regardles of his going through every available shifter position..

I went to meet him, crawled under the Dart and verified the following:

A) Shifter in NEUTRAL with Engine OFF, the Driveshaft spins when you push the car.

B) Shifter in PARK, you cannot push or move the car. It's in PARK

C) Shifter in REVERSE, DRIVE & 1-2...Engine Revvvs, but Driveshaft does NOT Spin.

At first I thought that it might be the Front (transmission) Yoke gone bad...but I assume that can't be "it" because the Car won't move in PARK.

There is no noise coming from the transmission or Torque Converter when the engine runs. I removed the Dust cover and see no debris, flexplate looks OK.

Trans Oil level is OK, Oil looks fresh and not burnt, no metal debris in oil

Any ideas..?

Thanx

Mike.

-

well you ruled out the engine and you ruled out the drive shaft and rear. Could be a number of things broken band, something in the VB or converter. I would start by maybe pulling the pan and VB and inspecting the bands. Not to hard to do.

.............Mike..........sounds like u broke something.....input shaft maybe, but that is very rare..........may have stripped the converter splines, rarely happens..........something broke in the verter....still needs to come out.........kim.........

Yah, guys...that's what I was afraid of..

Looks like it's not gonna be a "cheap Fix"

Oh, well...

---

A friend broke the front splines off the mainshaft in a 727. As said you aren't going to fix it on your back in the driveway . Call the hook and take it back to the guy that rebuilt it .

Does the fluid level drop when you start it?

Yes.

I have always checked Transmission Fluid Level with engine Running and transmission in NEUTRAL.

The Fluid behaves as it always has done...

-

if the fluid level drops when running, than means the pump is still working. you can verify with a gauge. but it sounds like broken input shaft or stripped splines.

-
Back