Looking for speaker recommendations for '74 Sport's (Jerry) speaker brackets

-

dilley340

Reaction score
I'm going to pick up a dash frame speaker bracket from our own '74 Sport (Jerry) and want to know what speakers you guys have used with his brackets. I'm stereo challenged and looking for suggestions please. It's going in a '73 Duster.

Thanks.

I bought JL Audio for the fronts. Do yourself a favor and put a filter on ANYTHING you put up there. It will limit the frequency they cant handle and make them last longer.

I don't mean to jack your thread, Doug, but this is exactly what I was hoping one of you guys would do - begin a discussion about successful applications of my dual-speaker brackets. Since I cover all makes and models of A, B, and E-bodies (C-body currently in design), and Ramchargers, there is a HUGE variety of 3.5" and 4" speaker options to choose from.

To assist Doug and others who are considering an upgrade to their sound system in making informed decisions, it would be very helpful for you guys who have gone through the process to provide the following information about your final speaker choice:

Vehicle application
Brand name
Size and Model No.
Source and Price
Sound quality
Installation issues and remedies
Anything else you find interesting and useful
Installation photos if available

As Doug admitted, I am also no audiophile. When I started all this with my son's Dart Sport, I wish I could have had the advantage of the wealth of knowledge you guys will now be able to provide, some six years later. I look forward to seeing all of your input.

Finally, thanks to all of you for supporting my little endeavor. Please direct all purchase questions to my thread HERE or contact me directly. Let's keep this thread on-topic for Doug's question regarding speaker choice.

Now, let's give Doug all the help he needs.

Jerry

selecting a speaker for someone isnt that easy! Are they looking to spend $20 or $100+ What are they wanting out of a speaker besides music?

Gentlemen,
Doug posted this thread at my suggestion. He bought one of my brackets I make for replacing the old single dash speaker with a pair of new 3.5" or 4" speakers. He was not sure which speakers to use, so I asked him (as I have done with everyone who buys my bracket) to post his questions on FABO and get a discussion started among the many of you who have already gone through the research and installation process using my brackets.

The point is not to choose his speakers for him, but rather to enlighten him and others facing the same dilemma with the information you can provide from firsthand experience with your installation. If you haven't used one of my brackets, then there probably isn't much you can tell him about the way your particular speakers fit, any conflicts or interferences you encountered because of speaker depth or center cone height, or the solutions you found to these issues.

The idea was to keep the topic specific to the use of my brackets. There have been enough FABO members who have used them over the past few years to give a decent range of options for other folks to consider when making their choice. So, let's hear from some of you guys.

Vehicle application 73 Duster
Brand name Infinity
Size and Model No. 3-1/2" 3032cf
Source and Price Off the internet from Zoomba? (cant remember everything) Approxx. $50.00 w/shipping
Sound quality Good mid-range, clear and crisp
Installation issues and remedies I ran into one issue, it's the small steel brace that holds the heater controls at a level position. It ran from the right side, up to the speaker stud where you mount the speaker (plate or old speaker) The fix was a pair of tin snips and an angle cut. It took some of the integrity from the brace, but it's only a small piece of metal holding a plastic piece in a position..

I also bought a 4 channel 100 watt amp from "Woody's Custom Shop" out of California $100.00 + shipping. I mounted it in my glove box, ran new wiring. Since the radio was a guess if it worked or not, this little jewel gives you the ability to use an iPod, Nano, iPhone, and about any other device you can plug an 1/8" jack into and have continious music.. I installed the plug/jack beside the ciggarette lighter, put the switches in the glove box as well. Since I have a space maker Duster I didn't want to cut the original drop down into the trunk for speakers, or cut holes in new quarter interior panels as well. So I went to Wally-World and bought a cheap enclosed boxed speaker set-up.
It cranks and sounds good enough for me.. Maybe this will help someone else who has the same set up as I do..
Oh yeah... Jerrys plates Do Not Come with the decal, I put it on there just for kicks.. I thought it would look cool if you can see it on a sunny day thru the speaker grill.. LOL!

Attachments

• 5a1 Upgraded radio speakers .jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 211
  • Stereo 1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 194
  • Stereo 2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 209
  • Stereo 3.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 193
Thanks for the compliment!
I called Woodys and asked them if I mounted it in the glovebox would it get to hot for cardboard. They said should be fine.. I forgot to mention, all the connections, parts, and patch cords come with it. I put the inline switch on it (switch below volume control) for my use. With 11 wires on one side and 5 wires on the other side, I didn't want to start in the trunk and run a mile of wire for all those connections..

Nice setup 19. The Infinity 3.5" 3032CF speakers were exactlly what I was looking at and their going in a '73 Duster to boot!

I received my bracket from Jerry. Very nice piece btw.

Thanks for the input guys.

Mini update.

I finally picked up a pair of Infinity 3032cf 3.5" speakers. I painted my bracket with an anodized red paint.

120721-Dash_Speaker_Bracket-02.JPG

I finally put mine in a couple of weeks ago. 3 1/2 " MB Quart speakers with a 600 mHz bass blocker on them. They are powered of my Alpine head unit. They sounded so bright, that they over powered my other four speakers. So I turned up the gain on my 60X4 amp and everything sounds great now. No installation tips or troubles whatsoever.

IMG_20120708_160605.jpg

I may have to consider something like this for my restoration. Even though the stereo separation wouldn't be great, they would probably add a lot of reinforcement to the speakers I hope to put in the kick panels. Better yet, I could limit my radio to playing the Beatles Mono releases :)

Thanks for the post. This is good info.

19 Again, Great setup! I like the Aux in idea being that CD's are going the way of the dinosaur & FM radio gives you all of a 6 song rotation. I appreciate you sharing.

Glad to help.. 340Dilley asked me a question I couldn't answer. If someone else can I'm sure it would help everyone.. The Infinities I bought came with capacitors, I didn 't use mine (didn't know how to connect them) but if someone else could jump in and explain why you need them and how to connect, we all would benefit..
Thanks

The Infinities I bought came with capacitors, I didn 't use mine (didn't know how to connect them) but if someone else could jump in and explain why you need them and how to connect, we all would benefit..
Thanks

The capacitors that came with your Infinities are what I was referring to in my post above. I called them bass blockers (brand name), they are also called passive crossovers because they aren't adjustable. What they do is prevent the low bass frequencies from reaching your speakers. These small speakers aren't built to reproduce deep bass and if you run them without the capacitors the speaker can be damaged. They are installed in line with the positive speaker connection.

The reason they aren't pre-installed is that some people use these speakers using a cross over network that directs the mid and high frequencies to one set of speakers and the low frequencies to the larger bass or sub speakers. This is called an active crossover because you can adjust what frequencies go to what speaker.

If you are running your small speakers full range without the capacitors that came with them, I would serious suggest reading up more on the subject. I am not an expert by any means, I just know the basics.

-
Back