Looking for stock slant performance #'s D150

-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble finding any factory test on the '81 and up D150 super six or 1 bbl. 2WD, short bed a plus. Best I found was vague, and it was 20 seconds. I can't find anything on youtube either, all a bunch of turbo slants and such.
Maybe somebody here has taken their slant pickup to the track????
  • Info on "built" slants will do me no good.

Thanks FABO.

So here's an idea. Why don't YOU do it? Not being smart, but as much as you frequent the track, knock it out, bucko.

So here's an idea. Why don't YOU do it? Not being smart, but as much as you frequent the track, knock it out, bucko.
I absolutely will. :thumbsup: I'm just trying to see what the expectation was from the factory.

I can't imagine that's gonna be easy info to find. lol
It's turning out that I'd rather be hunting for hens teeth !!!! That's why I was hoping someone on this site would have that odd ball article, or they themselves actually ran one...

I didn't get thru the whole thing but in that you tube on Tony Angelo's turbo install he ran just that test in the truck before he started working on it and he came up with ~20 Sec 0-60

I had a couple of those trucks, seriously slow, best way to check them is with a sun-dial.

Tony ran 20 seconds from 0-60 ? That seems quite slow even for a slant in a truck!!

I had a couple of those trucks, seriously slow, best way to check them is with a sun-dial.
Absolutely slow! But that don't matter to me, I just want to know what the expectations are in the 1/4 by those that tested... be it a magazine, Dodge itself, or an individual. If I be the first to test a truck with a slant, then I'll definitely document it! :)

the vague "20 seconds in the 1/4" would be about 13 seconds in the 1/8

Tony ran 20 seconds from 0-60 ? That seems quite slow even for a slant in a truck!!
It's about 19 secs for a late '60's A-body bone stock, seriously....I guess if the truck had the perfect gears it'd do 20 secs,...lucky to be goin' 70 by then....

It's about 19 secs for a late '60's A-body bone stock, seriously....I guess if the truck had the perfect gears it'd do 20 secs,...lucky to be goin' 70 by then....

My dead stock all factory original 66 Valiant, slant and three-on-the-tree went a best of 19.8 in the 1/4. I have an 82 D150, slant with 833 OD but unfortunately it was a dead dog when I got it. I will be able to post some numbers in a few weeks when it's ready to get back on the street, but it's a lightly warmed up slant. Given it's pushing a heavy brick, I imagine about the same times or worse.

This truck has 3.21 gears and a 235/75R/15 tire

My dead stock all factory original 66 Valiant, slant and three-on-the-tree went a best of 19.8 in the 1/4. I have an 82 D150, slant with 833 OD but unfortunately it was a dead dog when I got it. I will be able to post some numbers in a few weeks when it's ready to get back on the street, but it's a lightly warmed up slant. Given it's pushing a heavy brick, I imagine about the same times or worse.
19.8 in a early A. Thanks! Looks like that 20 second number might be a bit optimistic!

Back in the 70's I took my wifes 65 Valiant to the track just for S&G'S. 4 dr sdn 170 engine 904 trans. 1st pass was 22.8. Did some tweeking at the track. Biggest thing was the throttle linkage adjustment (only opening about 2/3's) Loosened fan belt, removed PS belt, installed bigger jet in carb, played with timing. Best that day was 18.9
Couple years later that drivetrain (legal NHRA Z/SA) wound up in a 1965 model 100 2dn sdn at 2530 lbs, and ran a best of 16.2

Back in the 70's I took my wifes 65 Valiant to the track just for S&G'S. 4 dr sdn 170 engine 904 trans. 1st pass was 22.8. Did some tweeking at the track. Biggest thing was the throttle linkage adjustment (only opening about 2/3's) Loosened fan belt, removed PS belt, installed bigger jet in carb, played with timing. Best that day was 18.9
Couple years later that drivetrain (legal NHRA Z/SA) wound up in a 1965 model 100 2dn sdn at 2530 lbs, and ran a best of 16.2
22.8 down to 18.9 is some serious tweaking in a day of tuning!!

22.8 down to 18.9 is some serious tweaking in a day of tuning!!
I only payed $75 for the car, a couple of weeks prior. Hadn't done anything to it. The previous owner had many things "out of wack". Like I mentioned in my post the biggest thing was to get that Holley 1920 to open all the way. Oh, yeah also pumped the front tires up to about 40 lbs. I did stop short of taking a hack saw to the cut the exhaust pipe before the muffler.

I had another car that really supprised me. 1974 Dart 4dr 318, 904, 2.93 7 1/4 rear. Bone stock except for a aftermarket 4 bbl intake, and a holly 4 bbl from a 440 engine.
The OEM 2 bbl was bad, and I had the 4 bbl parts, so put them on. Found I had a large vacuum leak at the base of the carb. So put on a NOS plate as a spacer the seal the carb. Then decided to do the complete NOS system. Car had over 100,000 miles on the odo. Took the car to the track, opened up the "noodle" single exhaust before the muffler, put on a set of 22x8x13 slicks, and made a motor only pass, letting the car shift itself. Don't remember exactly what the ET was, but around a high 15 or low 16 sec pass. Then turned on the bottle, and used a line lock button on the shift handle to acuate it. 1st pass just in high gear (was not really impressed). Next pass 2nd and 3rd (felt better). 3rd pass, said what the hell, on hit it right off the line (now i'm impressed) Went a 13.8 at over 100 mph. My wife drove that car for several years. Then I removed the NOS and gave the car to my niece.

Last edited:
I only payed $75 for the car, a couple of weeks prior. Hadn't done anything to it. The previous owner had many things "out of wack". Like I mentioned in my post the biggest thing was to get that Holley 1920 to open all the way. Oh, yeah also pumped the front tires up to about 40 lbs. I did stop short of taking a hack saw to the cut the exhaust pipe before the muffler.
I have found on several 2nd hand cars where the throttle only goes part way open under WOT.

I have found on several 2nd hand cars where the throttle only goes part way open under WOT.
I bought a duster off a member here, the throttle was only opening up about 1/2 way, made a way slow /6 car.

Stock, those trucks'll do 0-60 in probably sometime next week week seconds.
Yep, hence my quote on using a sun-dial.
I was flat towing a Jeep CJ-7 to the mountains to play for the weekend, with my 81 d-150 /6 833od, with a 4.56 rear gears.
I got passed by a semi-with trailer on a 2 lane mountain road.
I said to my wife, I needed to un-hook the jeep, and tow the truck up the mountain.

Stock, those trucks'll do 0-60 in probably sometime next week week seconds.

Yep, hence my quote on using a sun-dial.
I was flat towing a Jeep CJ-7 to the mountains to play for the weekend, with my 81 d-150 /6 833od, with a 4.56 rear gears.
I got passed by a semi-with trailer on a 2 lane mountain road.
I said to my wife, I needed to un-hook the jeep, and tow the truck up the mountain.
Well, at the moment my life is on hold but I WILL find out because she's going to make a pass !!!

-
Back