Looking for tips on door installation

-

DusterDaddy

sledgehammer mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was hoping someone can guide me on the procedure of putting the doors back on my 74 Duster Project.
They are the original doors. One has had some rust repaired on the skin. I'm planning on painting the jambs and the door sides and bottom ( changing the color from metallic brown to rallye red )before I put them back on, but the painting's not done yet.

Also, what should I do about the factory stickers on the drivers door? Anything I should mark where the hinges aligned on the door before I paint them? Any pointers to getting the hung and aligned will be appreciated!

Attachments

• door.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 169
I am also thinking about removing a door to work on. Is it worth the trouble to remove and rehang the door or just work on it on the car

If you guys are going to be doing this by yourself, a jackstand or floorjack with a peice of carpet or towel will be your best buddy.

I get it set up on the floor jack at the approximate correct height and attach the top bolts loosely but touching just so you can move the adjustment with a little pressure by hand.
Then install the bottom bolts about the same.
Very carefully and slowly start the door to the closed position watching that it does not contact the body. (I use the striker as my first line up point)
After the door closes straight in towards the striker, then you can start working on the lining up with the other panels on the body.
One bolt top and bottom can be tightened lightly to hold the door from moving without it falling out of place while you line it up with the panels.
This way you can use one hand to adjust and one to loosen and re tighten the bolt.

I used a cooler with some bricks and covered with a towel, lol whatever works.

When I took them off I used a plastic toolbox and a all cardboard box stuffed full of gravel

Also, focus on lining up the rear edge of the door and the bottom sill so you have a nice gap. Once set, you may have to adjust your front fenders and hood to match.

The fenders and hood are off so I'm going for the doors then the fenders the hood

There are some things that I will not take apart if I don't absolutely have to.
Quarter windows is one of them.
Door hinge bolts is another of them. I'll pull the hinge pins if necessary even where I need to cut original pins into short pieces to get them out. After I renew the hinge bushings and hang the door with new pins, It often lines up like new.
Many aggravating hours can be spent trying to get these cars back together perfectly. The more we take apart the more adjusting we do, only because we created the many opportunities. Ironically, The factory never got them perfect to begin with.
On a more positive note, We can end up with better than original body fit and finish.
Lessen the wind noise too. Have fun.

-
Back