Looking into a steel garage,what good.

-

64mopar

Reaction score
I am looking into having a steel garage put up.
4 car,2 wide ,2 + deep.
Who has one,what brand and what do you think of it?

PM me for phone number of pretty good rep.

Here is a picture of my 30' x 30' x 15' building. I put to up with the help of a few friends.

IMG_20230821_062704882_HDR.jpg

I have a 40’x40’ with 14’ sidewalls. Company name was Commander. I put it up 25 years ago so not sure if they are still around or not.

Local company that does a bunch in this area. 30x50x12 walls x 16 in center. Just got powered up a few days ago. Don't mind mess as I was shuffling stuff in circles for the electrician. Lots to consider here, does it need to meet engineering codes, permit process if necessary? If I was considered farm land it would have been almost 30% cheaper. The wind rated engineered plans cost a fortune, also required more material and labor for the building, also required to dig and pour footings, more $ for concrete by a sizable amount.. Upsized doors, $$. You kind of need to determine a size, and what you're use is. A 24 x38 or something like that doesn't leave much room to get car doors open etc. Work benches, tool boxes , shelving units eat floor space. Check with your county building dept. before handing over deposits.... like any building contract they charge monies for changes after the contract is signed. When all done there was the property value re-assessment.

IMG_20230921_201055428.jpg

IMG_20230921_201057771.jpg

IMG_20230921_200926576_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Check out Carolina Carports website , They have pricing and you can figure how much you need to spend.

I have a 20 x 20 steelmaster building. Guy bought it and never installed. I bought for half the price of a new one....still on pallets.
They can basically make these things whatever size you want.

I built a 50 x 60 steel shop back in 2004. I had it engineered for an overhead crane so that added some cost. I added floor heat in the concrete which turned out to be a great idea. The heated floors made that shop super comfortable to work in. I had it fully insulated which really helped to keep it comfortable. The electrical work was expensive. The building cost wasn't too bad but with the concrete work, insulation, interior paneling, etc. it all added up. But it was a fantastic place to work.

DSC_7470 (Large).JPG

DSC_4862 (Large).JPG

DSC_4744 (Large).JPG

I had Kauffman Builders out of Bedford, Pa build mine. Steel pole building, they do nice work.

Looking into concrete work now.
Some of the prices are ridiculous.
I am thinking about doing the ground prep myself.

Yes, construction prices are high now even though some material prices have come down from where they were a year or two ago. My 50 x 60 steel shop cost me about $150,000 twenty years ago. It would probably cost $250K to $300K to build these days. I looked into building a new shop after I sold that place but decided it was too expensive to build a nice shop so I ended up renting a place.

The cost to build has gotten crazy. Even the last ten years prices have gone up substantially.

Concrete is a killer budget buster and has been for over a decade.

I'm super happy with my 30 wide by 26 deep Carolina Carport.
Can open both doors on two cars at the same time, or pack in three cars tight.

I saved $2500 buy installing my own rear metal panels and frame (I paid for gable ends), and saved $5000 by installing my own roll up doors and frames.

Mine is a 24 x 28 Carolina Carport shop. I guess it's a goodun cause it's over 20 years old and still standing.

-
Back