Looking to get into a Ramcharger...

-

65LoveAffair

Whovian
Reaction score
I have owned a 92 Ford Ranger 3L regular cab for almost 18 years now, and while I love that truck and will never get rid of it willingly, I am looking to pick up something a little bigger (I'm 6'4") and with 4wd. I love the old Dodge Ramchargers, and have been doing some research, but I have a few questions. What is the best year(s) to look at, would I be better off with the 318 or the 360, and which is more reliable, automatic or manual? I'm sure there are pros and cons to each, but I would like to hear from those that have actual experience with them. Also, what would be a good price to pay? I've seen decent looking examples of pretty much each decade they were offered going for between $2K and $5k. Any and all advice would be most appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Edit: I posted this over on the Trucks forum, but figured I would post it here too.

They are good trucks, engine wise either engine is good too. I would think a manual tranny would be your best option but I don't know how hard it would be to find a manual one.

I like my Ramcharger V8 and all the 4X4 trucks I have had
If you look at the farm lands you will see a dodge 2x2 or a 4x4 doing all the work
I wont tell you what the wifes and mom's got in there drive way..
When I can and do pull the starter and ignition of of my 85 V8 and put it in my A body it's a good thing... and it all workes on a /6.... Love my MoPars.

it really depends on what your wanting to spend on one, they are gaining in popularity i just picked up an 89 for 800 but ive got rust to fix runs like a champ though

I worked as a mechanic at a Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth dealer in the mid 80s. The mid 80s Ramchargers and pickups were very good journeyman vehicles. They're trucks. They're built like trucks and they ride like trucks. They weren't glamorous, but that was their appeal in my opinion.

Most of the ones you'll find will have a 318 with a 904 automatic transmission. I don't remember ever seeing a manual in a Ramcharger. I did see some four speed manuals in a few pickups, actually a three speed with a fourth gear OD, but most were autos. And most will be 2WD. There may have been more 4WDs sold in other parts of the country, but most of the ones we sold were 2WD.

ive only seen 3 manual 4x4 ramchargers, a 75 318 NP435 truck trans, an 84 318 with the 4 speed OD, and a 78 440 NP435 4 speed. theyre a very rare critter to find for sale around here in the pacific northwest. A local junkyard here just got a 74 (manual hubs!!!) 400 weiand/holley top end TF727 9.25 dana 44 drivetrain in it, for sale!! has the usual fenderwell/fender corner rust but is very very straight. I was a little confused why it was there especially since it drove into the yard. Ive owned 4 70s vintage trucks, still have my 74, all except my 78 were smallblocks and manuals, the 78 was a 400/727. loved em all. parts for the drivetrain are very common and inexpensive. I prefer the manuals for putting in the hills. my 73 had a 360 np435A close ratio (4.56:1 low gear) 8.75 rear with 3.23s spinning 235-45 R15s. the 360 would purr at 2400 rpms doing 70+mph. was awesome on the highway, and was pretty giddy for in town mobbing. The 74 has a 318 NP435L 205 part time transfer case dana 44 front manual hubs and a 8.75 rear packing 3.55s rolling 31x10.50s. It does ok in traffic with the wide ratio NP435L (6.68:1 low gear) trans and highway cruising is about 2700 rpms at 65mph. My 76 was a 3/4 ton with 4.11s. was a beast under 55, over 55 it would eat the fuel big time. The 78 big block auto was factory ordered with 2.76s (yea what the hell?!) so it was a pig until about 35mph but it would fly down the road like nobodys buisness. so hopefully this might help out on what to look for drivetrain wise since theyre pretty much a truck with a fancy topper.

Personally, I've had two. A '79 with a transplanted in 400/727 and the full time set up. It was a helluva truck. Typical dash electrical issues, but once they got sorted out it was reliable until the rust started setting in on the frame.

But I like my '89 better. 318/4speed truck. (And it's the truck 4 speed - granny low, direct final drive). The only options on the truck are A/C and 31x10.5's. The only week link in the system on the '89 was once it hit 150,000 I started having issues with axles bearings, even going so far as to have to replace axles. That being said, at 177,000 it's still on the factory clutch, factory alternator, and a host of other things. I parked it when the oil started becoming self changing. I'd pour it in the valve cover and watch it pour out the the rest of the engine. Figured if I'm gonna pull an engine I'd just build a 360 for it. The 318 is a bit under powered for that heavy of a truck.

I've owned a lot of Mopars in my life, but it has been, by far, the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I live in upstate NY. It's been to TN several times, Maine several times, Minnesota once, all over upstate and downstate. Never once did I ever get the feeling that it would let me down on any of these trips. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be afraid to throw a case of oil in the rear, throw some tires on it, and take off with it right now, anywhere I wanted to go. I've worked the hell out of it for years and it's just kept coming back for more.

The only thing I've never like about 'em is the pot coupler that Mopar uses on the steering link. It's at a pretty severe angle for a 4x. On the '79 we eliminated that by modifying a link from a Pinto rack and then moved that over to the '89.

The '79 have a bolt in rear seat. When removed it allowed for a bit more cargo room than the '89's fold up seat, but there's the convenience of the being able to fold up the seat of having to actually unbolt and remove it. Both also had the typical leaking seals on the steering box.

What I like about both is the angle at which you sit. One of the reasons I feel confident in making such long trips. It's like sitting at the kitchen table, back straight up, knees at a good angle for the pedals (and if you have bad knees, like I do, that helps), and makes for a comfortable ride mile after mile after mile. No butt cramps, no lower back pain. The captain's chairs help, having the arm rest to help hold position and give you a place to rest your arm.

I paid $3600 for the '89 back in '98, so take that for what it's worth. Over the years I've had offers (when it was less mileage and less rust) for what I paid for it. Paid $800 for the '79 and promptly had to put an engine in it.

I would recommend the 360 over a 318 because of the extra torque to get the heavy truck moving.

We had a 79 Warlock II when we were in high school. We rebuilt the engine and it went from 9 mpg while towing the Superbird on a trailer to 11.5 mpg after rebuilding the 360 and it had much more power. It was fun to drive. Our non-Mopar freinds were very impressed with the power it had.

-
Back