Looking to improve 60 foot

-

joes68340s

Reaction score
I have a Backhalf Dart coilover ladder bar Car. Car runs a 340 w2 setup 727 4.56. Best so far 10.81 at 122.5 60 is 1.547 . Im looking to improve 60 to at least a 1.50. Slicks are 29.5x13.5x15 Made better improvements yesterday running 10 psi rear shocks are one click from full soft comp 90/10 front. Im wondering how to identify the rear coil spring rate and size. Car previously had a 4 speed and rear seems fairly stiff when I bounce it. I cant give all specs on car as it was stored and previous owner had memory issues.

What does the car weigh? Are the rear shocks double adjustable or a 9 way? If you have the rear shocks set to almost the softest setting on compression you are letting the tire push the rear axle up, and the therefore unloading the tire. If you have a DA shock in the rear, loosen up the rebound (extension) until it hits the tire too hard and then go the other way a couple of clicks at a time until it settles down. Of course, you can also stiffen the bump (compression) some to keep the tire planted before adding rebound once you have it hitting the tire too hard. The position of the bars relative to the center of gravity is important, but so is the angle of the bars. If you have the bars running down hill, the tire will get hit slower and stay planted longer. If the bar is running up hill, it will hit the tire harder and then unload it sooner. So bar position makes a difference in what the tire sees at the hit. I goes without saying (but I’m going to say it anyway) any time you change the bar position you will have to go back through your shock settings. And then you have to tune the front shocks while your at it. If the front of the car is coming up too quick it can hit the bump stops, and that can upset the chassis and make the rear tire unhook. If it’s too slow, then you won’t get any pitch rotation and the added tire loading at the rear tires. So tuning the shocks requires tuning both ends together. It’s a time consuming but the end results can be impressive. That’s why double adjustable shocks are tuning gold. Any time you can separate bump and rebound it makes tuning the chassis much easier.Also, it’s better to use a lower spring rate up front (a smaller torsion bar) and use your to control the front end than to over spring the front and make the front shock less effective. Stored energy in the front springs goes a long way to getting the car to hook. And to help lower vehicle reaction time.

I have a Backhalf Dart coilover ladder bar Car. Car runs a 340 w2 setup 727 4.56. Best so far 10.81 at 122.5 60 is 1.547 . Im looking to improve 60 to at least a 1.50. Slicks are 29.5x13.5x15 Made better improvements yesterday running 10 psi rear shocks are one click from full soft comp 90/10 front. Im wondering how to identify the rear coil spring rate and size. Car previously had a 4 speed and rear seems fairly stiff when I bounce it. I cant give all specs on car as it was stored and previous owner had memory issues.

Drag race torsion bars. Single 9 way QAs, Bars are level have to recheck which hole position. Just wondering what sring rate the coils are.

How to build the ultimate
Super Street Mopar by Mike Martin has the math

Drag race torsion bars. Single 9 way QAs, Bars are level have to recheck which hole position. Just wondering what sring rate the coils are.

Since you don’t know the spring rate and the only way to know for sure is to get them on a spring tester, there is a quick way I use at the drag strip to see if the spring rate is even close. I look at the amount of preload the spring has. If the spring seat is near or at the bottom of the threads, that spring is too heavy for the car. If the seat is cranked all the way up, the rate is too low. Unless you have a ton of power, and a flyweight car, I like to see the seat about 60-65% of the way up from the bottom. Just like the front end, stored energy in the rear can help hook the car. Do you have any video? If you have the front shocks set at 90/10 (which means they come apart 9 times easier than they go together) you may be pulling the front end up fast enough to upset the chassis and unhook the tires.

Do you know what the car weighs?

Now that I think about it, I think the title may have been changed. But it may say in reference to the new cover

I just did a Google search and you have the title correct. Amazon says it’s out of print so he will have to buy a used copy.

The coils are set about 60 percent up so maybe the rate is close. The bars are level with rocker in the second hole from bottom. Is it possible the rear shocks are set to soft.

The coils are set about 60 percent up so maybe the rate is close. The bars are level with rocker in the second hole from bottom. Is it possible the rear shocks are set to soft.

Soft in which direction? From what you have posted here I think you need to make the extension quicker (less dampening) so it hits the tire and then slow down the bump (more dampening) so the tire stays planted. I think I might try the 80/20 setting on the front shocks after you sort out the back end, just to make sure it’s not rising too fast.

If it’s dead hooking, that’s basically all the 60’ it’s got in it.

Using the Moroso slide rule, the ET and MPH are very well aligned:

84A5EEC5-7455-488A-A3F8-B07957B46D6D.jpeg

Last edited:
Overall carb tuning and correct torque converter can yield some surprising results also. Jet for MPH, squirters & pump cams for 60'. (Each combo is different.)

I got a best of 1.47 60' time out of my 360/904 Dart weighing 3,540 lbs, footbraking with SS springs and only enough HP to run 117+ in the 1/4, but 11.14 best ET. An Autometer playback tach can also be a valuable tuning tool because it can help determine if your car is spinning, bogging, actual converter flash & drops and actual shift points. Converter flash can actually vary a up to few hundred rpm just between weather swings, like between hot, humid summer air and cool dry winter air.

I have to reweigh it but the last time it was about 2950 with me in it. Unknown on the cam and compression. Seller had memory loss.

I have to reweigh it but the last time it was about 2950 with me in it. Unknown on the cam and compression. Seller had memory loss.

If your weight is correct or even close you are making less than 450 horsepower. I would start looking for more power because a W2 headed engine should be making more steam than that.

Like I said its got a lot of unknowns I shift at 6600 and trap 6400. And I need to jet it more. I have another motor for it so Im just playing to see what I can squeeze out of it.

408, 12-1 comp, w2, 660 solid roller, well built dynoed 628 hp. Ran 130 in an full bodied Duster. Theres to much to list.

Looking at my records with my iron head mill that ran 10.8s I was at 1.43-.45 in the 60ft dept. both of my converters are 8” and were actually designed for my low 9 engine so with the correct converter I think that mill would be in the 1.3 range. Would be interesting what converter you have…. I feel there might be some magic there :)

If your motor made a legit 628 HP you should be dipping into the 9's. That 60' does seem soft for the ET. A 1.54 60 should be around a mid 11 car, so your is definitely pulling really well. What convertor is in the car as I'm thinking that could be what's holding your car back.

Thats the future motor. Just trying to see what I can get out of the current combo.

-
Back