Loosing keys

-

jimmer

Reaction score
Ok so I'm absolutely horrible about loosing things , especially keys.
I can't seem to find the keys for my latest acquisition ?
I have searched high and low !
I do know they only had so many ignions and door locks.
Over the years I have found keys that worked on multiple cars.
So my question now, short of a locksmith or changing locks and ignition switch.
What else can I do ?
How do I get keys ?

If by chance you still have the key tag that came with the car it has a number a lock smith can cut a new key from.

There are guys here that if you send them the lock cylinder can make a key, forgot who though!

The cylinders are a collection of close tolerance "pills" that ride the key to become flush with the inner cylinder and allow the cylinder to rotate within the socket. If you take these pills out mod new ones to become flush it will work again. You can remove them...My 2002 Silverado has about 5 different door cylinders available. In my yard of >30 Chevys, My key fits at least 4 other doors! Nice when you lock yourself out just call the other guy and have him come over and unlock your door. HF has a key locker, just a little hang up box that has some hooks in it. Hang it in the garage, stock all your keys and (dont) forget about it.

My brain is like a marshmallow !
You think I'd have learned my lesson by now !
Well it could be worse.

I shot Cantfip on FCBO I know he has everything to do it I know him from Carlisle, he was explaining all the Chrysler keys to me, now that made my head expode.

I've heard form multiple sources that there are only something like 385-ish possible combinations of Mopar key cuts.

I think that number might be low, but I have absolutely had multiple experiences with keys from other Mopars starting or opening other cars on a fairly regular basis.

Just last month, I couldn't locate the key to my 66 Coronet's trunk.

I gathered up all the Mopar trunk keys I could find, and sure enough, one opened it.
I absolutely know it wasn't the actual key, as it was on a ring with an ignition key for a different car.

If you can get a door lock cylinder out, you can record the pin sizes and potentially make a key for that, which then should work in the ignition.

Mopar door locks are ridiculously easy to work on.

I use an egg crate to hold the pins in their respective locations.
You can use one pin at a time and one or more existing, cut keys to figure out how much to cut a new blank for each pin location.

Pull the door lock out of the passenger side (it will have the least wear) and take it a locksmith. If you lost the trunk key, you can crawl thru the trunk with a ratchet and 1/2" socket and open the trunk. Then you can take the trunk lock to get a new key made at the same time. Hopefully, there will be no snakes in the trunk at the same time you are. Don't ask me how I know! :eek:

I was pawn shopping and thrift storing over the weekend and one shop had an old school key cutter for $120.

I almost bought it.

I think it was the exact same model I learned on. Cole?

I may go back and offer them $80.

Last edited:
-
Back