Lost in engine build sequence!!

-

Speedotann

Reaction score
Hey Mopar Heads,

I am building a stroker 360. Not sure of the bore yet. I bought Scat cast 4" crank, 4340 I-Beams, arp main studs for windage and clevite bearings. How do I know what piston bore size to buy. Do I take my block for boring first then buy them? and also how much does it cost to balance the assembly internally? any other suggestions.

Thanks,

Brian

Take the block to your machinist, he should be able to tell you how much he will need to take off to clean up the bores. If you order your pistons first, you run the risk of having to send them back. Last time I had an engine balanced it was $175.

I just happen to have a 360 bored .30 and plugged cleaned and ready for a kit... I've been going to put it on for sale but haven't got there yet. If interested PM me and we'll talk. Also have a 727 tranny .

I just happen to have a 360 bored .30 and plugged cleaned and ready for a kit... I've been going to put it on for sale but haven't got there yet. If interested PM me and we'll talk. Also have a 727 tranny .

Thanks, but i already have 3 360 blocks unmachined and 2 727's.. Thanks for the offer.

I was thinking that too... If I bought .30 over and I am told it needs .40 over, then I am screwed. A machinist can tell just by looking at it?

Brian

You mchinist wil measure the bores and he should sonic test it if you're going to a 4" stroke to see first if it's good enough, second what size pistons you need. He'll also need the main studs to align hone the main bearing bores so bring them along.

Best to take the block in and have it rough bored for .030 sizing. If it cleans up, go with that size .030. If it doesn't, go to .040.

Speedo, let me know what your balance job costs. There was a shop up near Gothard and Slater YEARS ago, cost me 75 bucks so yo know how long ago that was.

Speedo, let me know what your balance job costs. There was a shop up near Gothard and Slater YEARS ago, cost me 75 bucks so yo know how long ago that was.

LoL... It's gonna be double that at the minimum! It wont be getting done anytime soon now cause my Dakota needs tires plus registration and insurance is due by the end of this month... One thing after another! LoL
What sucks is for the cost of the tires, I could get the block work done or buy a set of pistons!! I will let you know though.

Brian

-
Back