Lost in the sure grip jungle!

-

trebor75

Reaction score
I'm swapping my rear end to a 8 3/4 - 741 - 3.23 open diff. I'd like to swap out the open diff before i install the new rear axle. I’ve done searches here and turned out a bit confused. Sure grips, true tracs, powertrax, lockers, slip diff, clutch, cone, etc. Lots of options!

It seems like the sure grip is the way to go from what I’m reading. It's for a Duster who mostly stays on the street and has a mild smallblock. I will take it to the strip occasionally and want to have good traction and I’d like it to draw two black lines if I feel like it  Any suggestions on what to get? Links will be appreciated.

I'd say a True-trac is the way to go. You don't have to add any friction modifiers to the differential oil and it's gear driven so there are no clutches to wear out. I just installed one in my Jeep and the True-Trac is one stout piece of machinery. Here's a video as to how it works:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZmsY2YvVsc"]YouTube - Exploded View - Inside the Eaton TrueTrac Differential[/ame]

ramcharger is right. Hard to beat the tru track. But if you're just dead set on a limited slip unit, the only one worth a snot is the dana powerlock. It is much stronger than any of the factory units. the one you really want to stay away from if the track lock. their tolerances are give and take and if you do luck up and get a good one, it won't last long. they are simpley a factory supplied unit so that the dealer can say it has a limited slip and nothing more.

Stay away from anything cone type... Which means the new Auburns too. Otherwise, I think anything will be ok so long as it's in good order.

Anybody using the truetrac in their 8 ¾ axle?

What will I need besides the the truetrac assembly? I found through some searches that Truetrac assembly is not fitted with a thrust block to accept OE adjustable type axle bearings. And therefore requires “Green bearings”. Is this correct?

Green bearings are an upgrade and are required if you are going to put rear disc brakes on your car. "Green Bearings" are the same style that is used in the 9" Ford you won't have any problems.

-
Back