Lost my battery hold down.

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I seem to have misplaced my battery hold down for my 73 swinger. What kind of aftermarket pieces are people using?

I seem to have misplaced my battery hold down for my 73 swinger. What kind of aftermarket pieces are people using?

I got one of those cheap ones and only used the J bolts and made a top part out of 1/2x1/2 square steel tube and painted it.

In "real" parts stores you used to be able to buy the J bolts separate. Dorman was one source. I don't have a good answer for ya. On my Ranger, I used a small scrap of angle iron, "straight across". I've also welded up a top angle frame all the way around.

The newer stuff is no better, LOL. You'd think since the Model T we'd have something better

The metal hold-downs usually quickly rusted, even the "improved" plastic-coated ones, probably from the combination of stray battery fluid, sulfur fumes, and stray ground currents. I used an all-rubber one on one of my old Mopars, from an auto parts. Time will tell how that lasts. BTW, to protect your metal battery tray try putting a "Battery Mat" underneath (ebay) like I did in all my cars. It has chemicals which neutralize any dribbling battery fluids. Of course a totally sealed gel battery also works (Optima, Autozone Platinum).

I've used the aftermarket repros on 2 cars without problems except I have a smallish battery in the Valiant and the threaded part of the shank didn't reach far enough down to clamp the battery. I cut The hook off and rebent it in a vise. You can't even tell it's shortened. The J hooks are too long anyway.
The generic auto parts store versions look like .... well...aftermarket.

Solid rubber bungee cord, often called tarp tie downs. Those rule for holding the battery.

Wrong year but might work for someone else...
#2 NOS MOPAR BATTERY HOLD DOWN & BOLTS 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 DODGE PLYMOUTH | eBay

$10 bucks BIN & free shipping.
s-l500.jpg

Made my own battery hold down ( if it doesn't need to be factory correct) . I also sprayed the battery tray using a rattle can of rubberized undercoating.
Yote

-
Back