Lost on the Tone Ring thing.

-

easyrider

65 droptop
Reaction score
So what is a tone ring on a 2002 5.9 Magnum engine and how does it work? Do you still need it if you remove the EFI and use a carb?

Tom

So what is a tone ring on a 2002 5.9 Magnum engine and how does it work? Do you still need it if you remove the EFI and use a carb?

Tom

You don't need it IF you don't run the EFI, but it does have weights on it to help externally balance the motor, so you do need it to balance the motor.

If you are using an automatic, it will bolt tight up to the torque converter if you oblong one of the converter mounting holes very slightly to line it up with the earlier 727 or 904 converters. The pads are tall enough to clear the lip with the tone holes on it. I have one in my 5.0 Magnum with 727.

If your motor is internally balanced, you could always carefully remove the weights and have someone cut off the tone ring lip, but as I said, the lip is not in the way of bolting it to the torque converter.

If you are running a manual trans, simply have the flywheel balanced the same as the tone ring. I've never done it, but they sell a weight kit that could potentially be spot welded to the back of the flywheel. I would think it would be easier to just drill the flywheel to get the weight the same.

Attachments

• IMG_3551 (Large) (2).jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 144
OK, I bought the engine today. It is complete including the accessories. P/S, A/C comp, Alt with belt still on it. Engine has 40K on it. I was thinking of stripping the EFI and running a carb, but after measuring it I think I want the EFI. I didn't think I had the clearance. I'm going to run my 904 so I think I'll need a different ECU. Will I need the one for a manual trans since the 904 has nothing to communicate to the computer?

Tom

OK, I bought the engine today. It is complete including the accessories. P/S, A/C comp, Alt with belt still on it. Engine has 40K on it. I was thinking of stripping the EFI and running a carb, but after measuring it I think I want the EFI. I didn't think I had the clearance. I'm going to run my 904 so I think I'll need a different ECU. Will I need the one for a manual trans since the 904 has nothing to communicate to the computer?

Tom

True! You can get one from Solo Electronics in Florida with a lifetime warranty. Ask for one out of a half or three quarter tone truck with a manual transmission. Then get an SCT Tuner with a good tune for it. The other issue is the fuel system, but that's not that bad either if you use a surge tank up front and a pusher pump near the rear stock tank. You can find the wiring diagrams on-line or buy a "Hotrod" one from Hotwire Automotive. Good luck.

-
Back