Lots of good info on Gen3 engines...

-
I'm the kind of guy who isn't confrontational about price unlike my buddies who will tell a guy his price is 'stoopid' and he's crazy for asking that much. I usually ask what the bottom dollar is on a part and tell the seller, if I really am a buyer, that I'll buy it if I can afford it... sometimes I buy often I don't.

This week I was pricing tires for the wife's car... we're taking a long trip in September and I recently bought her a newer car and it has winter tires installed.

I have a tight budget.

New Coopers, Goodyears, Tiger Paws, etc. have been on sale around here but @ $80-90/each that is out of reach right now. So I've been searching Craig's list and Facebook for decent used tires. Last week I found four matching Won Hung Lo brand all-seasons but the guy wanted $150.00 for the four tires... new they are $220.00. I looked at them and offered him $120.00... wouldn't take that and that's OK... no harm. Last night I saw his ad on FB and he had reduced the price to $100.00... bought them on the spot. I usually stay away from off-brand far east manufactured tires but this deal is pretty good and I'll carry a good spare on that 3K mile vacation just in case.

I sold a vintage GM sunvisor on eBay this week, too. after 21 days @ $325.00 I changed my listing to include 'make an offer' and dropped the price to $275.00. Got an offer for $225.oo and it's gone... no problem.

I used to be pretty meek about stuff like this but attending swap meets, selling on-line and having many years in the car biz helped me realize that a counter offer isn't a personal attack... I'm not offended! Try me again... but have cash in hand!

Around here the tire deals on CL are far between. Most of them want too much money for what amounts to worthless tires. These guys don't figure tread depth percentage down to the throwaway point, they figure it down to BALD. A great giveaway is "got a couple of summers left in 'em"

-
Back