Loud noise from engine, SUCKS!

-

Dustedu2

Reaction score
Well, it's days like today when I just want to call it quits. Too much stress. Had 1 good fun day at the track but not sure it was worth a couple grand.
New stroker is making a loud rattling noise seems to be more to the passenger side. I thought it might be rockers but got those adjusted and still making the noise. Can the converter do that? if so, how do I narrow down what it is. It doesn't sound good.

More info needed? Oil preasure before and after? Temp change? Does it change when you race motor? Or when you put it in gear? Comp test? etc

What sort of noise? Up top or low down?
It's hard to tell with the noise of the engine, it sounds close to the firewall on the passanger side. I will try putting it in gear and a few different things to see if it changes. Just don't like running it when it sounds like that.

More info needed? Oil preasure before and after? Temp change? Does it change when you race motor? Or when you put it in gear? Comp test? etc
Oil pressure still 65-70 when cold and about 55-60 when warm no change. Temp 191 stable. I will try a few things to see if it changes and post back tonight. Thanks to both of you.

Of all the possibilities running through my mind, that could be one of the cheaper fixes. Hope thats what it is. I will check that tonight also. Thanks
It's possible the converter or flex plate bolts are loose. Flex plate could be cracked too.

start it up pull a plug wire ..nope not it... go to next one find the hole that its in, narrow your search.
flex plate cracks can be hard to spot if up by the crank .

Pull the oil filter and cut t apart and unroll it. If there's metal pull the motor apart. If not may be external.

If it's rhythmic with rpm and back there check for the loose flex plate to convertor bolts and for a cracked flexplate. Sometimes the bolts will walk out and hit the block. If it's much faster and higher up than pull th valve cover and take a peak at the rockers/pushrods.
If you get really frustrated, go fishing or something not car related...

Thank you Jesus! It was loose flexplate bolts. Not sure why they got loose, I used Blue locktite. Maybe I need stronger stuff. Anyway, It's amazing how much noise it made with the bolts less than 1 turn out each.

Thank you Jesus! It was loose flexplate bolts. Not sure why they got loose, I used Blue locktite. Maybe I need stronger stuff. Anyway, It's amazing how much noise it made with the bolts less than 1 turn out each.

i have this happen on my slant about every 6 months... i use red locktite and they still come loose...

boy do i know that sound and your heart is so down when it starts making that noise...

i have this happen on my slant about every 6 months... i use red locktite and they still come loose...

boy do i know that sound and your heart is so down when it starts making that noise...
I know, First thing I thought was broken rod, Thats what it sounded like. I will check them regularly.

what size bolts are they?

you might want to step up to the 7/16 bolts...and then tighten them a lil more.

I smack them a few times with a rubber mallet.

thats what my converter cam with and i snugged them down pretty good and they still came loose lol...

i'll try the mallet trick tho next time...

I have the 7/16 I used grade 8 bolts and ground the head down about half distance to make them fit without hitting the block.

If the flexplate bolts loosen up, you might want to look at your harmonic balancer. Those and bellhousing bolts loosening up are common issues when there are bad harmonics in the crank/lower end.

If the flexplate bolts loosen up, you might want to look at your harmonic balancer. Those and bellhousing bolts loosening up are common issues when there are bad harmonics in the crank/lower end.

would you also include misaligned bell housing?

more so with 4 spd's im sure.

Yes. Definately. Misalignments are more noticable with a stick, because the shifting is affected in most cases. But a saavy racer/builder will always align the auto trans case too.

-
Back