Low beams?

-

1970PAValiant

master of the break down
Reaction score
So I was driving home lastnight and I have no clue why. I stil get 12v out of my footswitch on my switch. All my other lights are a ok and have good ground, where should I look next

So I was driving home lastnight and I have no clue why. I stil get 12v out of my footswitch on my switch. All my other lights are a ok and have good ground, where should I look next

I assume you mean the low beams do not work, but the high beams do?

The dimmer is a simple "double throw" switch, you have one terminal with 12V going in from the light switch, and one terminal feeding the lows, one feeding the highs.

So it just about has to be either the dimmer switch, or --

the wiring to the low beams---or

EDIT The diagram shows one ground for both lamps, high and low beam, so if the ground is bad, none of 'em would work right.

a bad connection in the BULKHEAD CONNECTOR

Either the bulbs or the connector behind the left bulb at fault. Once in a while a owner doesn't notice the right bulb was out until the left bulb goes out.

alright I will check out the harness there at the left light. I have 12v coming out of the floorswitch for the low beams. I really am hoping it's not the bulkhead. if it is where do I get a new one?

alright I will check out the harness there at the left light. I have 12v coming out of the floorswitch for the low beams. I really am hoping it's not the bulkhead. if it is where do I get a new one?
When you find it let us know......the bulkhead connector......that is....

Make sure you have voltage going into and out of the bulkhead connectors with the switch on. A simple test lamp will suffice. Sometimes the terminals are so corroded that electricity will eventually not flow through the corrosion at all. I had that problem on my '68 GTX. I had to remove each terminal on the engine compartment side and clean them.

well I checked every wire and all connectors. Found the problem (not the bulkhead) it actually was the connector to the driver's side headlight, the crimp in the connector was bad, after some fiddling and swearing I got it out, recrimped it with a lil di-electric grease, and it's all better

-
Back