low oil pressure

-

AbodyJohn88

Reaction score
so i changed the oil in my stock stroke 360 with x heads using royal purple 5w-30 and a fram oil filter, started it up oil pressure looked good at around 55-60 pounds hopped in drove it around for about half an hour and as the engine got hotter about 185 degrees the oil pressure droped to around 25 psi when at idle but was still at around 55 or 60 when on the throttle, does this sound like a problom?

so i changed the oil in my stock stroke 360 with x heads using royal purple 5w-30 and a fram oil filter, started it up oil pressure looked good at around 55-60 pounds hopped in drove it around for about half an hour and as the engine got hotter about 185 degrees the oil pressure droped to around 25 psi when at idle but was still at around 55 or 60 when on the throttle, does this sound like a problom?

Probably not a problem. Were you using a 5w-30 before switching to royal purple and I wouldn't be using that grade in the summertime, to lite.

Terry

Pressure doesn't seem out of line, but I gotta ask, why the big dollar Royal Purple and a Fram filter. There was a post about oil filters here(w/pics) and the Fram didn't look good inside!!

what is your idle rpm? Mine idles at 700-750 and I'm right in line with your numbers. I think your ok with those pressures. I'm assuming it's a stock oil pump? I would get rid of the Fram too:)

It takes only 7 to 9 psi to turn off a warning light. If you're seeing 25 minimum
you're good to go for a long time.

thanks guys, i remember seeing that post about fram but i couldnt remember any of the better oil filters.

-
Back