Low-to-No-Options / Unusual Option(s) ...

-

LH23H2R

Reaction score
I'm not sure as to whether or not this topic has been presented here before ; but if it has , then please post a link to its thread ...

I'm wondering , what's the most oddball MoPar you've seen in regard to its options or lack thereof . This could obviously include colour combinations as well.

I'll start by mentioning a 1973 Duster 340 that I saw 20 years ago :

I noticed a '73 Duster 340 in a mall parking lot . It was in grey primer ; and its only outward hint of its 340 status was its dual exhaust outlet tips !

I checked its v.i.n. for its engine code , and found an "H" ( VS29H3B... ).
I also found that it had :
- 3 speed manual shifter ;
- Black rubber floor cover ;
- Radio block-off plate ;
- Black bench seat ;
- Manual-adjust O/S driver side mirror .

Its owner was walking up as I was perusing his oddball Duster ; he obliged to my "let-me-look-it-over" request .
Under its hood I found a totally stock-appearing 340 (blue with orange air cleaner) which looked to be freshly painted .
The car had standard manual steering ; it had its standard power disc brakes
(first year that power disc brakes were standard with 340 models) ; its cooling system consisted of a 22" radiator , a 5-paddle direct-drive fan (clutch fans were an option , but standard with axle packages / towing packages) and no shroud .

It was originally GW1 white with black interior (since its seats had been reupholstered in non-original material , I couldn't ascertain if they were cloth / vinyl or just vinyl) and black 340 stripes .

I was in absolute awe with this thing !! I mean , not a single , solitary option to be found !! Its fender tag was practically empty !

Thankfully its owner was in the process of restoring it . The engine was fresh ; he took some liberties with its rebuild , such as higher compression and some head massaging .

The only other car I've seen with *virtually* no options was a 1971 Dart Swinger . Its only options were the 225 Slant Six upgrade (vs the standard 198) and Hi-Impact paint ( EK2 Go Mango ) .

My '75 stripper Valiant is pretty bare-bones. Options include AM radio and power steering, 318, and disc brakes. It's Bright Red (the same as Tor-red).

I had a 71 Barracuda convertible:

318, 904 slapstick console, am radio, a/c, power disc brakes, power steering - but had a manual top.

My 73 Satellite base (RL21G) has no day/night mirror, no drip rail chrome, no wheel well chrome, no carpet (floor mat), but has body side molding, power steering, PDB, and A/C.

The funny part to me is floor mat and A/C. seems to be a cotradiction.
Oddly, a week after I bought it, I saw one on ebay with almost identical options, but it had a vynil top.

My first Mopar, a 66 Coronet 440, had a poly 318, PS, manual brakes, PW, and A/C.
I have never seen another one optioned like that.

Have a 70 Swinger 340 project. FY1 with black vinyl top. Came with mandatory dual scoop hood, hood pins, butt stripe and manual discs. Rubber mat/low-end bench interior, no rear arm rests, and el-cheapo manual d/s mirror. Armstrong steering as well. About as few options as could be ordered.

Grant

In 1968 I bought a 1966 Barracuda, it had:
Formula S package
4 speed
Full console
AM radio (don't know if this was an option)
Lighter
Black vinyl top
Black interior
Yellow paint
No PS or AC
No PB as I remember
Wheel well moldings (option?)

I had a /6 rubber rug 72 duster the only option it had was power steering it even had a foot pump for the windsheild washer fluid.

In 1974 we got a trade in,1970 340 3 speed Duster. Base 340 package with only one option,, Am radio. Working at the dealership employee discount, $800 bucks.
You can still get cars today with O-options, 2007 PT Cruisers. Both base standard equipment. One for the daughter O-options.One for the wife, one option,extra charge red paint. Salesmen do look at you funny when you ask for a NO option car.

72 /6 Demon, P/S, rubber floor mat, and foot pump for washer fluid. Bought a 67 Barracuda from the original owner, claimed he ordered it with cop brakes, cop suspension, & cop rear end. Turned out to be a 273 2V w/727 trans, HD suspension, 10 inch brakes & a 8-1/4" 3.23 limited slip diff.

The fender tag decode for my '74 Duster. Pretty bare, especially considering N95 was mandatory for CA. Column shift, no AC, manual brakes (disks!), power steering. Looks like the carpet and door panels where the big splurge. :D "side stripes" are just the door ding strips, nothing fancy.

VL29:
Plymouth Valiant,Duster
Low
2 Door Sports Hardtop

C4G: 225 105HP(net) 1-1BBL 6 CYL
St. Louis, MO, USA

E24: 225 cid 1 barrel 6 Cylinder 145hp
D34: Light Duty Automatic Transmission
KY4: Golden Fawn Exterior Color
D2Y3:Trim - Luxury, Vinyl Bench Seat, Gold
000: Full Door Panels
KY4: Golden Fawn Top Color
U: USA Specifications
B43: Manual Brakes
G52: Unknown
N95: Emissions Control
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
V5X: Body Side Stripes, Black
END: End of Sales Codes

My 75 Dart Sport. Manual drum brake,/6,manual steering,7 1/4 basic car. Optioned aircon and on the broadcast sheet listed as "Special handling package" This consists of Big block torsion bars and an extra spring on the back.

My 65 Dart 270 wagon has PS, automatic and a heater and no radio.

Our 70 Duster was a special order car, Slant with power steering, manual brakes, bench and rubber mats with a AM radio.

My 68 Coronet is a stripper special. Base Coronet, bench with rubber mats and a heater, only code on the fender tag.

My sisters old 76 Valiant was white, with a gross dark green interior and vinyl top.

Saw a 1964 or 1965 Dodge the other day that came with no mirrors on the
doors, not even the drivers side. It also had one speed wipers and was
radio delete.

Lookin at a 73 340 duster and it has odd option combos. 340, 727, 8 3/4 (Maybe SG), PS, PB, AM Radio, Heater, 2 speed wiper, and washer footpump. Green with white top and side and tail panel stripes. Black interior with white seats. Fold down backseat console car

my dart was owned by a leaprican its a quad green car 70 dart swinger340 EF8 body with a VO2, FF4 painted top green interior V8F ledger green tail stripe J81 go-wing along with the V21 hood treatment

Saw a 1964 or 1965 Dodge the other day that came with no mirrors on the
doors, not even the drivers side. It also had one speed wipers and was
radio delete.

My 65 Cuda has no door mirrors which I thought was strange especially on the drivers door.

67 Dart, 2dr 170 slant six, only option was a 904 auto. no radio, and heater delete. Friend of mine bought it last year to build as a drag car (pretty rough shape).

Also my 65 Valiant 100 2dr post. 170 slant six, 904, heater. no radio. Bought in 1975, from original owner.

67 Dart, 2dr 170 slant six, only option was a 904 auto. no radio, and heater delete. Friend of mine bought it last year to build as a drag car (pretty rough shape).

Also my 65 Valiant 100 2dr post. 170 slant six, 904, heater. no radio. Bought in 1975, from original owner.

They were still using the 170 slant in 65 and 67? Or did you just use that motor to beef them up?

I owned a '69 B'cuda convertible. It was 1 of 40 (IIRC) with a /6 and a 3 speed trans, no p/s or p/b. But it had factory a/c!
Dallas

They were still using the 170 slant in 65 and 67? Or did you just use that motor to beef them up?

1969 was the last year fro the 170. It was replaced by the 198 in 1970.

FYI: the 170 was the base engine in the Valiant, Lancer, and "A" body Dart, untill 1969. The 225 was the optional six cyl. The 64-69 Barracuda the 225 was the base engine. the 170 was not available from the factory in these cars.
On my 66 Cuda I replaced a 360 with the 170. The car was born with a 273 2bbl.

-
Back