Lowband apply question for the Transmission Gurus

-

Divenut

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Any of you transmission gurus know if lowband applied can be added to a manual valvebody that does not currently have one? My Duster's has a 727 with a reverse manual valve body that does not appear to have the lowband apply. I don't down shift to first when moving, no burnouts in 1st etc. She shifts great and launches nicely, but for since I will be doing more cruising than 1/4 mile runs these days, I think I want that piece of mind when cruising around and have the best of both worlds. Jusy wondering if I need to start saving up for a new manual valvebody. Any input you may have is appreciated.

Thanks all,
Pat

john cope at CRT did a bunch a couple of years ago..dont know if he does....

only problem you would have on the street..would be if you are in 1st gear coasting...and you floor it...

Short answer... Not that I know of but I'm no guru.
I know it's a combination of changes to make the low band apply and re-time the 1-2 shift to cut the now existing 1/2 overlap to a minimum. I'm not sure if there's a servo upgrade too but I'd think there would be.
You should just by the available low band apply one, or actually totally remove the possibility of the explosion by upgrading to a billet front clutch retainer.

Thanks for the replies guys. May just talk to a transmission place in town that handles hi-perf work. Depending on what they say, I may just end up driving as it is until I can pop for a new reverse valvebody w/lowband apply.

Pat

to convert the low band apply...one of the plates inside the valve body had to be replaced....that is what i remember from CRT ...he had some pictures over at moparts.com a couple of years ago..

i dont think he will charge ya anything for a phone call to ask the question...lol

here is some good info on lba valve bodies..from crt

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=587296

Thanks for the replies guys. May just talk to a transmission place in town that handles hi-perf work. Depending on what they say, I may just end up driving as it is until I can pop for a new reverse valvebody w/lowband apply.

Pat

I been using one on the street for 10 years now, no explosions yet, lol

Just never ever jump all the way on first once moving. Only from dead stops--or just about-or slowly get in to it, let everything get a chance to hold on. You can go wot once moving but not by punching it wide open as fast as you can

There is no reason on the street to need a low apply-unless you want to drive like an ape. Its the track were every second matters. Oh boo-hoo, you might lose the jump on the other cars, if you got a good motor you make it up.

As for braking, in 2nd gear it slows down really good with 3.91 gears, there is no need to use 1st gear. Disk brakes work great at 30-40 mph and after that you are in 2nd gear.

Putting around parking lots in 1st is great, car doesn't slow down much and you can go 5--10 mph with the engine idling at 900 rpm's with just a lite tap on the gas now and then to keep the car moving. Yeah you can do the same in 2nd gear but then you can't chirp the tires-stabbing the throttle 1/2 way down quickly...you can do lots of showing off--just like that cruise ship captain did, lol

...you can do lots of showing off--just like that cruise ship captain did, lol

Ya and look what happened to the cruise ship LOL! :eek:ops:

I agree dodgefreak, I have no problem cruising with it as is ....As I have gotten older, I don't give in to the urge to too get stupid on the street. That's what the track is for. Though in my younger days, I had a tendency to drive "like an ape" on occasion (like all the time). Not in a rush to do the lowband, just gathering the info for the future. Have quite a few things to do/fix first...and the list seems to grow as I dig into the car.

Thanks for chiming in man,
Pat

-
Back