Lower ball joint seal frustration

-

lilcuda

Reaction score
Arrrghh. I'm trying to install my lower ball joint seals and I'm having a hell of a time. Just had to come in from the garage before I broke something.

What is the trick to install lower ball joint seals without destroying them? I don't have a press or a socket big enough to fit over the seal to tap it on.

Are Energy Suspension seals easier to install than the stock ones? Thanks.

Something must not be wright.My lowerssss are moog all i did was just pushed and they kind of snap into place.

Something must not be wright.My lowerssss are moog all i did was just pushed and they kind of snap into place.

Mine are moog too. Bought them from Rock Auto. But the boots are way too tight to just snap on by hand.

X2!! Moog just snaps into place. Be sure to have the vent facing inside..

I used a short piece pipe the right diameter same pipe that got my lower control arm bushings out. Just put it over with a piece of 2x4 and pound it on. It shouldn't be that tight but mine did need some motivation.

yea, u should be able to put a larger deep socket over it, or a piece of pipe over it and use a hammer to tap it on. i had to do it once or twice...

Snake,

Ordered a bunch of light stuff from a company that sad that they would ship usps..bill was 161.00..shipping 285.00...

We have stopped for the moment..I cannot move very well and really don't want the kids out in the garage by themselves..

I got a lead from another member so I will try them next..

Ian.

Snake,

Ordered a bunch of light stuff from a company that sad that they would ship usps..bill was 161.00..shipping 285.00...

We have stopped for the moment..I cannot move very well and really don't want the kids out in the garage by themselves..

I got a lead from another member so I will try them next..

Ian.

You sure about shipping very high.

...knocked me off my chair...thought I may try again just to make sure it wasn't me...

Presently, I am trying to find a auto salvage within a 2 hour radius that has a yoke off of a 727. The big companies don't so I am now calling the smaller yards. I didn't think this one would be an issue but as I mentioned..I cannot do much physically at the moment so there is no rush.

I did find a company locally that still sells non water based car paint. I was going to use chassis black over the epoxy for the underside but Ii think the Mopar was is body colour.

Thanks for your response.
ian.

Candian tire has duplicolor,which is acrylic laquer. And there is summit brand paint,again acrlic laquer.Only trouble is,it's all custom color stuff.

Cantire sells custom auto paint ? I shall check this out. My daughter just started working there..possible discounts :)

Thanks for the tip.
Ian.

Doug,

My epoxy states low VOC but doesn't give me a number. I am just reading up on Basf paint and I see the numbers 3.5 and 2.8 for paint and 2.0 VOCs for clearcoat...what is considered low ?

Thanks
Ian.

i would stick to the low voc stuff rather than go that way...

If you mean water base,you cant get it to dry without lots of fans and air driers. Other than that it sprays fine.

It's odd that it doesnt dry. I used to spray acrylic water base model paint,and just used 99% isopropyl alcohol as a thinner. It dried just fine!

ilcuda - I had the same tough time as you getting the Moog seals on the lowers. One of them I tore in the process so I bought energy suspension seals, it's much easier it doesn't snap on like the Moog one. Time will tell which one is a better seal (have Moog on one side and E.S. on the other) but the E.S. are polyurethane so I'm guessing it will hold up pretty well.

The one I did get on I didn't have a socket or think of using one, I was able to use a vice-grip kind of wrench after getting it started on one side to pull it down around the other sides, but i wouldn't recommend this since I tore one boot doing it.

ilcuda - I had the same tough time as you getting the Moog seals on the lowers. One of them I tore in the process so I bought energy suspension seals, it's much easier it doesn't snap on like the Moog one. Time will tell which one is a better seal (have Moog on one side and E.S. on the other) but the E.S. are polyurethane so I'm guessing it will hold up pretty well.

The one I did get on I didn't have a socket or think of using one, I was able to use a vice-grip kind of wrench after getting it started on one side to pull it down around the other sides, but i wouldn't recommend this since I tore one boot doing it.

Thanks. I ended up getting the Energy Susp boots. They went right on. I didn't want to buy a big socket just for the purpose of putting on ball joint boots. Seemed ridiculous.

Thanks. I ended up getting the Energy Susp boots. They went right on. I didn't want to buy a big socket just for the purpose of putting on ball joint boots. Seemed ridiculous.

Can't blame you there, if I hadn't had the other 3 installed already I would have just used the E.S. boots all around too.

Any time I have something like your boot or a grease seal that needs to be installed with a large socket or the like,I never seem to have the right size. I end up going to my locak muffler shop and getting some shorts for free (short exhaust pipe sections that they will never use.)

Arrrghh. I'm trying to install my lower ball joint seals and I'm having a hell of a time. Just had to come in from the garage before I broke something.

What is the trick to install lower ball joint seals without destroying them? I don't have a press or a socket big enough to fit over the seal to tap it on.

Are Energy Suspension seals easier to install than the stock ones? Thanks.

my 61 chrysler were like that,really pissed me off.i finally got a piece of pipe to drive them on.talk about a piece of ****,they should never be this hard to put on.

You sure about shipping very high.

Snake,

I thought I would try a really lite order..

Rock Auto

Leaf Spring Bushing MOOG Part # K7309 $6.00 $12.00 (for 2 packages)

and shipping...by USPS - $$ 37.23 ...3 times the cost of the product.

..and they don't even offer you a smoke afterwards...

Grassy

For driving soft goods like seals, go with a plastic driver.

Take the part to be driven with you to the plumbing department at Home Depot, Canadian tire etc. Match up a PVC fitting or pipe to the seal. PVC fittings will take a heck of a beating, and will usually seat a seal just fine.

In the frozen north, keep the fitting in the house until you are ready to use it. They do get brittle at -40

B.

-
Back