Lower control arm bushing - Help please

-

stupidasso

CA ANRCHY
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm putting my new front end together and the thin metal sleeve from the lower control arm bushing is still in the control arm. I read on the net that the only way to get this puppy out is with chisles and a hammer. Ok, started that and aside from bending it in, I'm not making any progress. Is this just one of those things that will take a few days of pounding, or is there a better way.

Thanks,
Stu

I rebuilt my front end last winter, and that's how I did it. I pressed the center sleeve and rubber bushing out. Then I used an air chisel to push one side of the sleeve towards the center. Work your way down the same side and keep pushing it toward the center. This will draw the metal away from the other sides and shrink the outer circumference of the sleeve. The sleeve will become loose and pop out. BTW, Happy New Year!!

..pretty much same here.

Used a chisel to start it off from side edge, then used an air hammer to cut it down the inside edge. Angle the air hammer toward the inside away from the wall, and it will pull it in as it cuts. That will loosen it enough to come right out.

One of the mags showed them tack welding a thick wassher to the bushing and pressing it out..but I didn't have a welder at the time. I was also worried I might accidentally weld it to the LCA.:tongue9:

I put a hacksaw blade through the shell then hook the saw frame to it. The shell is thin so be careful. When you cut through it, then use the chisel. It comes out easily.

Thanks guys. well air chisle no workie. havent used since '92. So, after smashing the pointer finger knuckle on my left hand, I finally chisled the bastard out with a big ball peen and a hand chisle. ugh. Did you guys press the new ones in, or use a vise or what?????

Thanks,
Stu

You have to be slightly brutal with your approach here.... If you don't have access to an air chisel then stop by an alignment shop and have one of the old grey-beards cut it out for you. Splitting it and rolling it over inside the opening is the way to go. Once it's freed up you can pull it out with pliers. It's a crappy job, but not impossible. Just be careful you don't gouge the inside too badly or you *might* have problems installing the new bushing. If it does get gouged, try and smooth it out with a rotary grinder or dremel it all else fails. It doesn't have to be cylinder-wall-smooth, but you don't want it to look likr an inverted corn cobb either.

Here's a few web pages that might help too:

http://www.moparts.com/Tech/Archive/susp/18.html

http://www.bigblockdart.com/index.php/topic,12654.0.html

Looks like I'm late by 3 minutes with my advice. Sorry!

next time there are chisels known as "cape" chisels from snap-on and maybe others. they cost, but the shape is great and helps from gouging the arm.

Once again, FABO pulls through with great advice! i'm still working on getting out the LCA bushing sleeve...but will try some of these ideas now

Screw that chisel stuff... LOL I used to do it that way, 25 years ago.... I'm lazy!

Do you have a welder?

Weld a washer in the end of the hole then use a bolt with nut/washer and press to get it out. be careful not to weld the washer to the arm. We've been doing it this way a long time. MM had an article here are some pics.
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/tipstricks/155_0306_control_arms/photo_05.html

155_0306_arm_5_z.jpg

155_0306_arm_6_z.jpg

155_0306_arm_7_z.jpg

155_0306_arm_8_z.jpg

I drop my LCA and bushings off on my way to work,picked them up the next day for $40.I know everybody can,t afford this,but am limited for time with these.

I've done both the chisel and welded washer. I prefer the welded washer any day over the chisel. Much cleaner and easier

Screw that chisel stuff... LOL I used to do it that way, 25 years ago.... I'm lazy!

Do you have a welder?

Weld a washer in the end of the hole then use a bolt with nut/washer and press to get it out. be careful not to weld the washer to the arm. We've been doing it this way a long time. MM had an article here are some pics.
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/tipstricks/155_0306_control_arms/photo_05.html
i tried welding some scrap metal to it, but the weld broke. i'm worried about welding to the LCA on accident. but i'm going to try doing that on the next side.

for this side, I've ruined it already to where I have no room to weld a washer to it anymore. so I will just be goin at it with the chisel/airhammer

I drop my LCA and bushings off on my way to work,picked them up the next day for $40.I know everybody can,t afford this,but am limited for time with these.
where did you drop it off at?

Dropped them off at my friends shop,he has a press for pressing them out and pressing new ones in.Good luck.

If you are just going across the face and not all the way around with the scrap piece, yes it will tear out, usually the sleeve. You need to weld pretty much all the way around so using the washer is the ticket. Got to have some pretty serious welded surface area.

Mopar muscle or action did a whole tech write up on an a body front end rebuild about 8 years ago.
I got the welded washer trick from that article and it worked like a champ.

Do you have a welder?

you are the information minister! wow....... what a great tip. :cheers:

Do you have a welder?

155_0306_arm_5_z.jpg

155_0306_arm_6_z.jpg

155_0306_arm_7_z.jpg

155_0306_arm_8_z.jpg
that's how I done it on my Fury but on my Duster I had to leave the shell in because I went Polyurethane.

trust me, the washer trick is easier.......cold chiselling them out is a real PITA.

yes the welded washer trick! First time I saw it was by an articl by Steve Dulcich.
BTW, I have found that the washer on the top of the front shock absorber to be the perfect size. be careful pressing things back together, it can get a little tricky. good luck!!

Yes.

Put the bushing in the freezer overnight and the LCA in an oven for a bit at 200*. Makes things a little easier to press together.

Cutting out with a chisel is a beast, but if you don't weld, it is a way to go. If you have air tools, even better. I did one without air tools, took me about an hour to get it all out, and with the air tools, took about 15 minutes. Just have to be careful to not cut up the LCA too bad. Groove it on one side, cut the lip and then go to town.

If you gouge up the LCA, you can smooth it out with a Brake cylinder hone. Throw it on your drill and run it thru the hole until the area is free of burrs. A dremel tool with a deburring tool works good too.

I did it this way as I weld for crap and I sent the air compressor home with Gene :(

Welding is the way to go,but I prefer to weld a bead on the shell and when it cools it shrinks. Taps out real easy

-
Back